sbg  

Pro-Line
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Military Build-off - Land Rover Series 1

Default Military Build-off - Land Rover Series 1

Way too much going on to get the Opel Blitz or the M25 Dragon Wagon finished, so I'm aiming for something a little less ambitious - a 1948 Land Rover Series 1. This one will be ex-British army, and in the employ of the evil forces of NOM.

I've actually never liked Land Rovers. They're top heavy, both the series 2 and 3 were (are) about as reliable as a cheesecloth condom. With the exception of the lucky few that had the BMW M52 engine, ALL of them leak oil. Their worstest shortcoming is that their axles have no lockers. Tumbleweeds. Nothing. Nada. Their best feature ever are the rear-window demisters. They keep your hands warm whilst pushing.

However. The series one is the bomb. It's (to me) one of the most perfectly-proportioned off-roaders ever. And it's time I built me one.

They're tiny, and so I needed something small to put under it. The obvious choice was an MST CFX with the short (242mm) wheelbase (1:9 scale). The CFX is 200mm wide so a width of 172mm would have made the tyres stick too far out, so I went with 252mm, which pegs scale at 1:8.6, and body width at 180mm.

The CFX build was mostly stock - I added ball bearings everywhere, and used steel ball connectors. The wheels are Vintage Cruisers from RC4WD. Getting the 1.9 Mud Pluggers onto them was a right pain. Servo is a Savx SW-0231MG, motor is a Tamiya CR Tuned 35T (with a 16T pinion), and the speed controller an Axial AE5. I have yet to run it.

Started with the front.

And then I tried out some drivers.

Good thing Willy is 1:10, because it kindof has to be the NOM Commander.

Woop! Nice start, big fan of early landies!

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Woop! Nice start, big fan of early landies!
    Thanks. Me too, if it's pre-'54 when the wheelbase went from 80 inches to 86 Amusingly, given all my moaning, I once owned a '59 88' Series II. This was taken at Christmas in London in 2000. Thank god for low range - I doubt it would've made it onto the pavement otherwise.

Progress on the Series I: The floor is in, and the transmission tunnel is marked out.

Also managed a start on the bed.

Not much space in this truck so need to start giving some thought to electronics, and where they'll live.

Im gonna sub this as i love all things green oval (apart from freelander and the new disccover 4!!)

Matt
    If In Doubt Give It A Clout.

Love it! Always nice see a Landy build.

i love those old defs. good choice

Smashing! There is always place for a Series build. Hoping of course to see you Ride the Blitz one day!

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHughes View Post
    Im gonna sub this as i love all things green oval (apart from freelander and the new disccover 4!!)
    Thank you Matt. I've seen someone do stuff with a Freelander that many wouldn't try in a lifted Defender 90. Offroaders are usually far more capable than the driver's ability (assuming no alchohol).

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Love it! Always nice see a Landy build.
    Lol they have their following. Personally I believe their strongest point is that they're harder to keep going than a marriage, so Land Rover owners tend to make pretty decent husbands.

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    i love those old defs. good choice
    Thank you And so you don't offend the purists - mine's an 80' Series 1 from 1948. Defenders only happened in 1990, and on the 90' and 110's.

Quote Originally Posted by Halme View Post
    Smashing! There is always place for a Series build. Hoping of course to see you Ride the Blitz one day!
    There is indeed And the Blitz is shelved, but It. Will. Llive

Was out clothes shopping with Ms. Protocol () so not much further this morning. Got the seat base in, and the NOM Commander fits in ace. Unfortunately I realized that my blueprints are wrong!!

The prints claim to be of an 80' Series 1. And they are - except the side view, which is of an 86' Series 1. And so my door line was vertical, and the bed started too soon (distance between beginning of bed and beginning of wheel arch should be much shorter).

Oh well

Repaired the seat (which now doubles as battery tray), and relocated and angled the start of the bed. Compensated for the remaining too-longness by bobbing the bed by 12mm. It's not exactly like the 80' but it's as close as I can get it without redoing everything rear of the firewall.

Cut out the inside (in the engine compartment) of the fenders, although it's not entirely accurate either (I'm using the space to accomodate the NOM Commander's rather large feet).

Transmission tunnel is not quite there yet. Hoping to get a little more time tonight.

nice looking good
    ive got a neighber up the block with a series 2 . always looking at it as i drive by and walk past when walking the doggies

Great start! Following this one with interest. These old Landies are fabulous modelling fodder. I would never own a 1:1 though. I likes my creature comforts too much.
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast