sbg  

RPP Associated

Thread: Double cab 6x4/6x6

Default Double cab 6x4/6x6

So a while ago i wanted to build a double cab artillery tractor/ tank transporter/ recovery vehicle with 6x6 and a walking beam rear end and then i moved flats and a few other things happened and i put it down after not much progress.

Then last week i got a new offsider at work and he mentioned there was an rc hauler club in my city and that they had a course for semis and diggers etc, so after a quick search i found their Facebook page and discovered they have a meet next sunday.

That was all the motivation i needed and I've made a lot of progress on getting the cab together, really pushing to have some paint on the cab by next weekend lol.

What started as a standard kinghauler has been turned into this so far. Desperately needs some fenders but I'm procrastinating those, then it's the outside details and I'll be happy for now.
    Chassis isn't really important for now as I'm waiting on parts to do the rear end but It's on hi lift chassis rails.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nice looking work.

Thanks I'm pretty happy so far.

It's 12:30 at night in NZ and i have to be up in 5 hours for work, but i have the chassis together, well together until the parts arrive to build the walking beam rear axle. It looks a bit silly right now as the front is so much higher- I flipped the front axle and added lift blocks and home made U bolts, but i hope it'll look better when i build the walking beam rear.

The cab is mounted and just needs to have some fenders made, the windows cleaned up and some details added like door handles etc. And i also need to remodel the front maybe. And build the rear deck/ mount fifth wheel.

The interior is just front seats for now as that's the last of my worries, it will of course be rhd as everything should be. And that's all i have for now, hoping to knock out the body stuff after work tomorrow so i can put some primer on.

I've got a bit more done the last couple of days, a lot of sanding and filling and a couple of primer coats. I also put some fenders on and made some snorkel hats for the intakes, i still need to cut some light buckets into the fenders and clean up the intakes but i really wanted to see one in paint.
    I also need to add some details onto the rear, at the moment it looks really plain and the windows are pretty rough. Pretty happy with it so far though.

love this so far...

is it based on a truck from NZ?

out of interest what type of drilling you do? and you north or south?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHughes View Post
    love this so far...

is it based on a truck from NZ?

out of interest what type of drilling you do? and you north or south?

Matt
    Thanks, it's a bit of mash up, the air intakes are based on a western star style snorkel which is pretty common here. The double cab part isn't based on anything really just my imagination, there are a few double cab coe trucks getting around here though.

I'm not in drilling or anything, I'm an arborist so i drive bucket trucks, chip bin trucks towing chippers and occasionally hiab trucks filled with logs. Currently i can only drive what's considered medium rigid trucks, but I'm hoping to move up to heavy trucks soon.
    Also I'm from the deeeeep south, almost as far south as you get lol, but i live in the middle of the south island now.

I haven't made much progress this week, just a bit of door trim, I did have most of the gears for the walking beam rear turn up today, almost a month earlier than expected. once i get the tires i plan on using which is a few weeks away I'll be able to start putting that together.

I went down to the rc truck club meeting today, i took my kinghauler since it's put together, it was pretty cool. There was some cool stuff there, but mostly standard looking kinghaulers, scanias and MAN's.

I stayed up late last night and threw together a half assed service deck looking thing cos i thought it'd look silly driving around with just the fifth wheel. It stayed mostly intact, it needs more support in the rear as the joints started to fail towards the end but it'll do. I also got to borrow a trailer which was fun, i also discovered i forgot to loctite the drive cup grub screws when they fell out lol.

I had a lot of fun and now I'm Gonna hopefully get some body work on the doublecab done today especially the windows.