sbg  

Pro-Line
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RC4WD Chevy Blazer Cab Back for Pickup Conversions

Default RC4WD Chevy Blazer Cab Back for Pickup Conversions

Hey, Scale Builder's Guild!

Welcome to Mod19RC. I am excited to offer the first product for sale in the Mod19RC Shapeways store. This is a detailed cab back that can be used in converting the RC4WD Chevy Blazer into a pickup. It features window trim detail (along with a ledge to help mounting the window easier), stamping details, and a precise fit that should allow for easy finishing. The cab back should be a big time saver that will produce nice results for those who want to convert the Blazer to a pickup.

There are two versions of the cab back. The first is just the cab back by itself. This is for people that are building a custom interior and do not intend to use the stock RC4WD interior parts.

It can be found in the Mod19RC Shapeways store here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/9P...li=marketplace

The second version includes an adapter so that you can use the stock RC4WD interior parts. The adapter has to be attached to the cab back with two M3x8mm Flat Head Socket Screws. The screws are visible on the cab back, but the heads are recessed in a way that lets you easily fill over them prior to priming and painting. Here is how the adapter attaches to the stock interior using the Blazer body kit screws.

And here is how it looks in the body.

This version can be found in the Mod19RC Shapeways store here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/99...li=marketplace

Thank you for your interest in the cab back. I hope that is a help to builders everywhere.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Here is a guide for using the Cab Back. Hopefully it will help make the process simple and easy. Parts can be expensive, so nobody wants to make a mess of them. Especially me!

The first step is pretty critical...cutting the "bed" off the Blazer body. The two important things to note are: 1) Cut directly behind the back of the cab and 2) make that cut as vertical as possible. I like to use a piece of tape as a guide for my cut.

Here is how it looks after the cut. You can see that it is almost perfectly square.

Once you are done cutting make sure to clean up the inside edges of the body from cutting. Don't leave any extra "whiskers" of plastic that might have formed during cutting. The cleaner you make it the better the fit will be.

Also if you plan on using the bed extension be careful not to cut into the areas highlighted in red below. The bed extension uses them for a reference when it is installed.

Now it is time to glue the cab back on. I recommend doing it in two stages. You will notice that there is a slight angle in the area where the rear window is. There is a relief cut into the cab back piece that allows it to bend in the correct spot. Use whatever glue your are comfortable with, but I think that either CA or 15-30 minute epoxy will work best (I prefer epoxy). The Shapeways material is a porous nylon. Using MEK or solvent type glues will not work very well since nylon is resistant to them.

IMPORTANT: You will want to wash the parts (Body and 3D Printed Parts) with warm, soapy water and dry well. Additionally, you will want to sand the surfaces that you will be bonding to on the RC4WD body or you may not make a strong bond. The surface of the 3D printed part is fairly porous. So, besides cleaning no other prep should be needed.

Start by gluing it in place around the window flange.

Here you can see how the angle kicks out the bottom of the cab back.

Next, glue the sides and make sure the cab back bends and ends up flush at the bottom. You should be able to gently spread the body sides to apply glue to the flange surface of the cab back. It may be helpful to just glue one side at a time.

*to be continued with finishing and prepping for paint*
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

My dilemma now is... Do I order now, or wait to see what else you come up and order everything at once??

Will you be offering the custom trans cover / firewall as well?

As of now, I had not planned on offering the firewall/trans cover. I am concerned that it may be too specific to my build, plus it integrates into my side pods which are very similar to what GCM already offers. I don't want to rip off their design and put it up for sale.

Short term, I do plan on offering the bed extension, door panels, gun rack, bed mounts for the CMAX chassis, and some tailgate variations. There are some other things planned, but I'm not ready to reveal that stuff just yet.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Quote Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
    As of now, I had not planned on offering the firewall/trans cover. I am concerned that it may be too specific to my build, plus it integrates into my side pods which are very similar to what GCM already offers. I don't want to rip off their design and put it up for sale.

Short term, I do plan on offering the bed extension, door panels, gun rack, bed mounts for the CMAX chassis, and some tailgate variations. There are some other things planned, but I'm not ready to reveal that stuff just yet.
    Good point, I was just curious. The raised dash position I was mostly curious about.

And, now you're just teasing us...

Looks like a great product. I would live to see a suburban convertion for cmax chassis. I am currwntly building a blazer on cmax but would love to build another with burban body.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great idea making a body cutting tutorial. My cut turned out just like your pic but it's a easy fix. I can never thank you enough for coming out with a product that makes it easy to convert these blazer bodies. My bed extension has been shipped and as soon as I get it I'll message you how it fits.

As for the suburban body. Of he did produce a suburban extension it will be so expensive no one will be able to purchase it. The cost for material to make it will be extreme!

Quote Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
    Looks like a great product. I would live to see a suburban convertion for cmax chassis. I am currwntly building a blazer on cmax but would love to build another with burban body.

Thank you. Like Rick mentioned, I think that full bodies or even very large sections are going to be pretty cost prohibitive on Shapeways.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
    Great idea making a body cutting tutorial. My cut turned out just like your pic but it's a easy fix. I can never thank you enough for coming out with a product that makes it easy to convert these blazer bodies. My bed extension has been shipped and as soon as I get it I'll message you how it fits.

As for the suburban body. Of he did produce a suburban extension it will be so expensive no one will be able to purchase it. The cost for material to make it will be extreme!
    No problem, Rick. I am glad I can help fill a void that was out there. The Blazer body has lots of potential...it just needs a little love, I guess. :)
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

By any chance can you Jeff provide or someone else direct me to a build thread with with 13.9" wheelbase extension? Want to build an 8ft. long bed replica of my father's work truck from back in the day and am guessing that piece is the ticket.

I haven't seen a build thread where anyone has used that wheelbase in particular. The few threads that are out there are short bed builds. I think I've only sold one 13.9" wb extension so far as it was a special request. With a true long bed, you would need to extend the rear some also to make it look right.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast