sbg  

Pro-Line

Thread: China 2-door Jeep Rubicon hardbody without roof and cage?

Default China 2-door Jeep Rubicon hardbody without roof and cage?

Hi,
    need some advice from you, guys.

Bought one of those cheap China Jeep bodies a month ago, the type with roof - because I do not really like the look of the version with cage.

Did already disassemble, sand, prime and partly paint it, wanna make it with a "old, dirty, used look".

Now I found, that this body looks sooo f... cool without roof and doors, that I think of finishing it that way.

But: very few builds around without cage and/or roof and doors.

Guess, this is because the windshield will break easily during rollovers?
    What is your experience?
    Would a simple rollover-bar out of 2 or 3 mm steel be sufficient to keep the windshield-frame from breaking during rollovers? (Alu? too weak, I guess)
    Thought of making one and pushing it through the door-hinges down to the bottom of the body.
    Good or bad idea?
    Do not really want to make a full cage because of the look.

If this is possible, I would be greatful for some advice or links to make such a roll bar. Thought of "just bending"; I do not have any experience in and equipment for welding, but have very good soldering equipment and am a rather "very good and experienced (electronic) solderer".

It this is not possible easily, I will make it with roof and doors... (and probably paint the roof).

Thanks,

Walter

I guess it all depends on how you will drive your truck. A rollover wont break it at all. Also depends how heavy your truck is.

It's your build and you build just the way you want! Cage or without. If you want your convertible offroad build to have a realistic scale appearance, then the cage is pretty much needed as most of the real ones equip one for safety reason as it protects the passengers from crushing to death. In fantasy world of RC anything is possible and only thing that counts is that you as a builder are happy to your results!

Simple bended tube around the windshield is not going to do much if it has only two connection points to the body and is probably in tilted angle already.

Is it a good or bad idea..You need to try out how it looks! I would place such item on the cabin side of the windshield. Like here how the first tube goes.

Good luck to your build!

Hmmm...ok,thanks.

Roll cage because of security reasons.
    Looked up the pic of the "Jeep" (do not even know what car this is) we drove in the nowwhere of South America, this absolutely broken and cracked thing, cool like hell - and it had (I forgot) also a rollcage :( (and no - I did take the pic, I am not on the photo).

Well... probably will make with roof, the easiest way; but will paint the roof.

Walter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jeep-web-800-5.jpg  

Yes, it is a Jeep. And a very cool one! You should definetly build it like this. Or with roof. Just follow your vision!

OK, thank you!

Sorry, I am not "good" in Jeeps - but if this is a Jeep, it is a Willys Jeep, isn't it?
    Impossible to build with the 2-door Rubicon body

Love(d) this car - steering is broken, and sometimes it looses steering, have to stop and hinge the steering rode again. Guess, this is also why we crashed into the trees (backwards)...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep-web-800-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	19990

Name:	Jeep-web-800-3.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	19991

Name:	Jeep-web-800-6.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	19992

Walter

It's a Jeep CJ-5, pretty sure about it. Check out Headquakes build from Guild's Finest section to make one from scratch or get a Tamiya Wrangler body with modification kit from http://www.rc-crawler.it/ (though not sure if they are available anymore, no personal experience here)

That Jeep looks and sounds like a killer.

OK, thank you for your answers and explanations!

Walter

WHY? I don't get it