sbg  

RPP Associated
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building me an MB, Jerp that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrencher View Post
    Man I am a sucker for a jeep build, but this thing is just awesome.
    Cheers, I'm not a huge jeep fan but have a real soft spot for the Willys MB and 'Rango' in particular.

Managed an hour or so int' shed tonight.

made a start on the windscreen, going with styrene for this.

Also started to paint the seats. These are 3D printed from a desgin I found online and modified.

Still need a bit more sanding before final paint.

Whilst the paint was drying I threw the electronics on

and gave it a quick test.

https://youtu.be/1ihR9zANBj4

More soon. Thanks as always for taking an interest.

That's the thinnest servo I've ever seen! Wow dude, so much amazing happening here.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    That's the thinnest servo I've ever seen! Wow dude, so much amazing happening here.
    The servo is a wing servo (with the top tab cut off). It was a bit of a lucky find as it's apparently capable of 11kg @ 8.4v and is metal geared.

Getting it running was a nice boost, and also means I can get on with the scale bits, safe in the knowledge that the mechanical bits work.

that bit you made is a steering box correct
    Rock beach customs/Socrawl.com team driver/Gcmracing team driver

Quote Originally Posted by crawlin View Post
    that bit you made is a steering box correct
    It is indeed. It will only be set dressing rather than functional

Today I got some interior mock up done.

Looks like everything should fit, just need to make a transmission tunnel and the fuel tank/electronics box and find some way to hide the battery and then I can start on paint and final assembly.

More detail stuff done today

Managed to squeeze the 8274 in the front (the 1:1 has a belleview which is a smaller version of the same winch) and got the faux steering box to fit (I dont like the oversize nut on the top of the box and will be changing it)

Made a radiator

The servo will be getting a coat of silver paint and I will also add a fan as per the 1:1

Painted up the steering wheel, just need to make a column for it and then I can attach it. Also worked out how to fix the seats down (has to be done after the body is attached to the chassis.

Hinged the hood and roughed out the cut-out for the air cleaner

Lastly made the fuel tank/electronics box and figured out how to attach it.

It is I feel really starting to come together and I like what I see.

More as it happens,

Been plodding along sorting details pieces on this as and when I get a few minutes. Finally got the the handles on the body made and installed, yes the drivers side one is missing it should be as it's not on the 1:1. Also got the shovel and axe installation sorted out.

once everything is painted I will install the hold down strap for the shovel.

Started on the electronics install. The ESC, RX and light controller all fit in the fuel tank, however the winch esc is going to have to go underneath as the isn't enough room for it too. i made sure the on/off switch is accessible.

Lastly for this week I managed to find an M2.5 Nyloc in the box of random nuts and having drilled and tapped it to 3mm installed it on the steering box. It may only be half a mm smaller but I think it looks a lot more correct.

More next weekend (Hopefully get some paint on the body this week.)

The stance on this thing is looking forward to seeing some paint on it

Quote Originally Posted by onetruescooty View Post
    The stance on this thing is looking forward to seeing some paint on it
    Thanks It's been a challenge to get the stance right and make everything fit and work.

The wait for paint is officially over.

I spent the afternoon preping and painting this. Ended up using a spray acrylic paint rather than brush painting, as it gives a better finish. I used Kobra Pistacchio which is a bit lighter than ideal but is a good olive drab colour. The Kobra paints are great as they also dry really fast (I think they are formulated for graffiti art)

So painted the main body, and then worked out what has been bugging me about the rear light position right from day one, they are to high and to far out on the body. So I filled the original holes and made new ones lower down and in as far as I can push them.

Much happier with this new position. I just need to mount the rear lights now.

The front end is now all together, just need to hook up the lights and the winch controller.

I managed in the week to print some gauges, so these got painted and installed. Also added the starter button and handbrake lever.

I also made a start on the gear levers, I just need to make a gaiter and some knobs and I can install them.

Lastly the printer also produced some of the makings of a motor cover, in the form of a V6. Still need to print some more bits (once I have drawn them) and then give it a coat of paint before installing it.

More soon, as I want this finished and at least run once before the UK G6 at the end of the month.

Thanks for stopping by, see you soon.

Few more details done,

I don't really like how far back on the manifold the carb is, but to get the hole in the hood to be in the right place that is where it had to land. The 1:1's engine lives a fair bit further back in the engine bay than I can get this one to sit and still hide the motor. Next will be some pedals and the gear levers, then it's just joining all the wires together and pray that the magik smoke doesn't escape :)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast