sbg  

GearHead
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building me an MB, Jerp that is.

Pete, you are a real builder. There's always something pretty interesting going on in your threads. Thanks for sharing your progress with us all.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Pete, you are a real builder. There's always something pretty interesting going on in your threads. Thanks for sharing your progress with us all.
    Thank you Sir, I am happy that folks find my tinkering interesting, and glad to share in the hope it might inspire others.

Excellent build Pete! I am a big fan of that build on Pirate 4x4 and cannot believe the detail you are putting into this. Hats off to you sir. I hope one day i can build something half as good as this build!

Quote Originally Posted by pattyballs View Post
    Excellent build Pete! I am a big fan of that build on Pirate 4x4 and cannot believe the detail you are putting into this. Hats off to you sir. I hope one day i can build something half as good as this build!
    Thank you, glad you like the build, and as you say the 1:1 is a really nice build too, I hope I can catch the overall feel of the 1:1 buy the time i'm done.

Today brought some more progress, things went slower than I hoped, but I have managed to get the springs attached to both axles and just need to fab and attach the rear shackles and the chassis will be a roller.

Look on jackstands holding it up.

I managed to more or less replicate the 1:1's spring plates and U-bolts, Making the spring plates stepped to keep the end of the bolts from hanging down took some thought and a couple of failed attempts before I got something that works.

Having the axles located in their final position means I can now finally get back to mounting the motor/trans into the chassis. Last bit from today was to start mock up of the location of the motor/trans to see what the clearances are like, was pleasantly surprised by just how much space is currently available under the hood. Mind you that is a 380 motor not a 540.

So next visit to the shed should result in some motor/trans mounts and then body mounts.

More as and when it happens.

Managed some more time on the Willys today.

Remade all the leaf spring shackles, as I wanted to use M2 hardware instead of M3, much happier with the look now. Also got the shocks mounted.

I am so glad that SDI propshafts can be cut nice and short

Full tuck at the front, 1mm clearance to underside of fender.

I thought this was appropriate it being so small

Next, I will finally finish making the engine and transmission mounts and attaching them to the chassis and attaching the steering servo, I promise. The last piece of the electronics should arrive this week so once all the mechanical bits are in place I shall be on to the electronics.

More soon, Thanks as ever for looking.

Woot. I finally got the motor and transmission mounted this evening also cut the props to length and fitted them.

Also printed a new windscreen frame, (I will be modifying this to look more authentic)

More soon.

Didn't feel like doing difficult stuff tonight, so bent some tube to start the rollcage.

The 1:1 has a nice simple design, I may add a diagonal brace in the rear hoop just for strength.

this is what I came up with so far.

Hopefully I can get the rest of the tubes cut and bent tomorrow.

Another day and more bent bits of metal

First off I ended up making a new windscreen frame from steel as I really didn't like the printed one (to big and not really the right shape around the hinge point)

Also managed to finish up the cage.

If I can get some time in the shed tomorrow I shall mount the steering servo and start hiding the electronics and battery.

More as it happens.

Thanks as ever for taking an interest.

So, Servo is in just need to make the drag link.

once I make a radiator it should be fairly invisible, especially from the front.

Also made this, can you tell what it is?

Man I am a sucker for a jeep build, but this thing is just awesome.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast