sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building me an MB, Jerp that is.

Default Building me an MB, Jerp that is.

Whilst doing research for the still to be started half track build I kept coming across pictures of Willys MB jeeps, a vehicle I have always had a soft spot for. This resulted in research into Willys jeeps ::doh:: which resulted in me finding on Thingiverse the files for a 1/10 scale 3d printable model designed to be RC it was originally produced by Ossum but has been remixed a few times now, the orginal files can be found here.

So far around several 3d printer issues (the heated bed stopped working making printing ABS impossible) I have managed to print the entire body and glued it together. The body has been nicely designed, the main tub being in two parts and then the front and rear fenders, grill, bonnet, scuttle panel and windscreen all being seperate items.

I won't be printing the chassis or axles, although I may print some parts for the axles, but am printing a set of 1.55 wheels I again found on Thinigverse.

The axles are going to be modified metal SCX-10 II narrowed to 120mm with leaf spring mounts. Drive train and electrics to be decided, as usual I will be making a steel c section chassis replicating the 1:1.

Ok enough words

Having put it all together, I then started cutting the windscreen up as I didn't like it. On a 1:1 jeep the screen appears to have a tubular frame. So today was spent cutting and bending some small stainless tube I have to make the new screen. I have kept the lower part of the printed screen as it matches the scuttle panel very closely and I will be using the inner part of the original too.

More as it happens,

I love a Willys build. Will be watching!
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    This coming from a guy that hates Jeeps! I'll also be following.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

definitely following this looks about same size as my willys (the jeep ) not the ..never mind

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    I'm a total Jeep guy
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm not really a jeep fan either, just have a soft spot for these little MB's/GPW's.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfeather View Post
    definitely following this looks about same size as my willys (the jeep ) not the ..never mind
    This is 140mm (5 1/2") wide at it's widest and 280mm (11") long with a stock wheelbase of around 205mm (8")

I am going to be making custom axles using som SCX II parts I was hoping to get them down to 120mm pin to pin but i think I may have to go for 130mm to give clearance on the leafsprings.

Looks great! and so tiny!

Quote Originally Posted by generis View Post
    Looks great! and so tiny!
    Thanks Chris, however I decided 1:10 was just a little too tiny for the level of detail I am aiming for, plus I had to redesign a few bits as I found a 1:1 build that I want to replicate that has some subtle mods to the body that I wanted to incorporate.

Here's a pic of the inspiration

It's a 1942 Willys MB on 35" tires with at essentially stock (1" lift) ride hieght. It's known as Rango and has done the Ultimate adventure twice. Build thread can be found here :- Rango on Pirate 4x4 , it's a long read

So a number of hours in front of the PC all parts are now rescaled and I have also created the tweeked bits and begun printing. Today I glued the main bits together of this and started on a second for a Scalefabshop customer (this one is going to be stock)

Drive train is going to be essentially the same just the axles will be wider and the tires will be 100mm not 80mm.

more soon.

Just show how small the Willys is here's a couple of pictures of the body next to the Blue JK

The wheel base is around 8.86" (225mm)

Had a chance to sneak off to the shed today

So started work on the chassis for the little Jeep.

Now the 1:1 chassis (for Rango) was built by the owner from some 4"x 2" steel box section and he very kindly provided a PDF in his build thread with the dimensions. I couldn't find any box section, steel or brass that was of the correct scaled down size, actually that's not quite true as I did find some brass but enough sections came to about 80 ::doh::. So I have gone for 10mm x 4mm steel bar as it was as close to the correct size as I could get and cost a grand total of 8 for 2 lengths.

The design is really simple as can be seen in the PDF, the worst part was drilling all the holes in the side plates.

I got both main rails cut and brazed and also managed to cut and drill all 4 side and started attaching them to the main rail.

Here are a couple of the body sitting on the rails.

I have also made a start on figuring out the transmission and transfer case, I should have some progress shots later in the week..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast