sbg  

RPP UMG

Thread: 3D printed RC Ship.

Default 3D printed RC Ship.

So over the last couple of months I have been printing and assembling a tiny ship. I found this hull on Thingiverse by Erdinger

Here's a photo of a complete hull (not mine)

It took about 140 hrs in total to print the hull (14 separate sections) and superstructure, it's all printed in ABS (Rigid.Ink) @ 0.1mm layer thickness. I only had one failed print due to a momentary power cut (now have a UPS on the printer).

Here's some pictures of the build process.

It needed a fair bit of clean up once I had finished gluing it together as I found I needed to fill some small gaps between the finished sections caused by a small amount of shrinkage as the parts cool.

Once sanded reasonably smooth I gave it a couple of coats of filler primer, a quick sand and painted it using automotive paint and then clear coat.

Quick test in the bathtub

and approx 1kg of ballast

crappy picture but nearly done.

and then today came the maiden voyage on the local river

and a short video too (just to prove it moves under it's own power)

It's running a smallish brushless motor direct driving a 40mm prop powered by a 3S 5000maH Lipo via a small Quirun ESC (had to set the throttle to 30% as it is some what over powered) steering is just a cheapo mini servo and a single brass rudder.

Thanks as ever for looking.
    Last edited by PeteAttryde; 07-22-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Spelling

Cool little rig tender you have there
    Thanks for sharing

What a nice Boaty McBoatface you've got there Pete! Wow, tons of printing time in that, huh?
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Oh, that's a cool thing right there! perfect idea for a print, seriously. Great stuff! Love the final finish, real nice looking and seems to ride great in the water!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmat01 View Post
    Cool little rig tender you have there
    Thanks for sharing
    Thanks very much, I have really enjoyed the process of putting it together.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    What a nice Boaty McBoatface you've got there Pete! Wow, tons of printing time in that, huh?
    Cheers Matt, yeah lot of print time, that said I have learned a lot about my printer and have greatly improved the print quality and speed from doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by generis View Post
    Oh, that's a cool thing right there! perfect idea for a print, seriously. Great stuff! Love the final finish, real nice looking and seems to ride great in the water!
    Thanks Chris, glad you like it, I was really surprised with how well it rides on the water. I am looking forward to the next time I can take it out. Mrs A has now requested that I print another different one for her. I shall post up progress of this one too.