sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: Micro Crawler Coarse - 18" x 48" Travel Section

Default Micro Crawler Coarse - 18" x 48" Travel Section

Hello all,
    I want to construct an indoor coarse for the micro rigs that I have planned in mind to build. So I decided to do a test run and see how difficult it would be to make one before I jump all in and make a big coarse that takes up a larger area.

WARNING: Disclaimer - Sorry for all of the words. I didn't take allot of pics of this project during it's construction. I was not thinking "Build Thread" when I made it.

In this thread I make a small section of foam "rocks" to drive rigs on that is approximately 18"x48" in dimension and has an elevation of about 4" at it's highest point.

I took an old piece of 1.5" thick foam insulation that I had laying around from some of the kid's past school projects. The piece that I had was asymmetrical, so I roughly eyeballed a rectangular shape in the above dimensions and sliced through the foam with a hot butter knife that I had heated with a blow torch. Then cut the remaining scraps into random shapes and glued them onto the rectangular base in no particular manner to create a rough shape of the entire coarse. Then I hit the foam in random places with the torch and the hot knife to better finalize the shape of the coarse. After that, I spray painted it with a can of some black Plasti-Dip rubberized paint. I figured that this would add texture as well as a bit of "grip" and maybe even seal the foam and keep it from crumbling etc. But the spray paint caused the foam to begin to dissolve where I had heated it with the torch, and it started to look like webbing and stringy melty marshmallows. At this point the project needed to be salvaged as it resembled nothing close to rocks.
    I needed paint so I ran to the Depot and grabbed some, and a few tubs of spackle. I coated the marshmallow-y textured foam with the spackle to fill in the deep webbing and holes that were created by the spray paint and got something that looked like this... (Finally a picture!)

Then I added some layers of color to it.

And then tested it out.

This section took about 8hrs total to complete, including drying time for all of the coats of paint, as well as the trip to the local home improvement store for the paint and spackle. Approximately $40 was spent on the paint and spackle supplies, the foam was spare so it was free but if you are wondering a 4'x8'x2" sheet is about $22.

Was fun for the whole fam and easy as pie to do. I am thinking it is time to make a full 4'x8' coarse.

Thank you for taking the time.

When I saw the first picture I was like meh. But now that I have seen the finished product! That looks awesome if you ask me. Could be a great diorama for larger rigs as well.

Cheers,

Promachos

This is a common way to create landscapes etc. for model railroading. I hadn't thought about doing it for an RC layout. Great idea.
    LargeEnt

Quote Originally Posted by Promachos View Post
    When I saw the first picture I was like meh. But now that I have seen the finished product! That looks awesome if you ask me. Could be a great diorama for larger rigs as well.

Cheers,

Promachos
    Thanks! LOL I agree, It was definitely not much to look at before it received color. Even still, the camera really does not do this chunk of foamy radness any justice. It looks cooler in person than I can get it to on the screen. I suck at photography too so that don't help either. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by LargeEnt View Post
    This is a common way to create landscapes etc. for model railroading. I hadn't thought about doing it for an RC layout. Great idea.
    LargeEnt
    Yup! That is exactly where I got the idea. It ended up working great! I also found a cool way to texture chunks/"globs" of the spackle when it is wet to give it a cool rock like appearance. I discovered this technique by accident with my rubber glove a bit late into the creation of this piece so I was not able to do it more this time. I will see if I can get a good shot of what I am talking about and post it... Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Radobudadado View Post
    Hello all,
    I want to construct an indoor coarse for the micro rigs that I have planned in mind to build. So I decided to do a test run and see how difficult it would be to make one before I jump all in and make a big coarse that takes up a larger area.

WARNING: Disclaimer - Sorry for all of the words. I didn't take allot of pics of this project during it's construction. I was not thinking "Build Thread" when I made it.

In this thread I make a small section of foam "rocks" to drive rigs on that is approximately 18"x48" in dimension and has an elevation of about 4" at it's highest point.

I took an old piece of 1.5" thick foam insulation that I had laying around from some of the kid's past school projects. The piece that I had was asymmetrical, so I roughly eyeballed a rectangular shape in the above dimensions and sliced through the foam with a hot butter knife that I had heated with a blow torch. Then cut the remaining scraps into random shapes and glued them onto the rectangular base in no particular manner to create a rough shape of the entire coarse. Then I hit the foam in random places with the torch and the hot knife to better finalize the shape of the coarse. After that, I spray painted it with a can of some black Plasti-Dip rubberized paint. I figured that this would add texture as well as a bit of "grip" and maybe even seal the foam and keep it from crumbling etc. But the spray paint caused the foam to begin to dissolve where I had heated it with the torch, and it started to look like webbing and stringy melty marshmallows. At this point the project needed to be salvaged as it resembled nothing close to rocks.
    I needed paint so I ran to the Depot and grabbed some, and a few tubs of spackle. I coated the marshmallow-y textured foam with the spackle to fill in the deep webbing and holes that were created by the spray paint and got something that looked like this... (Finally a picture!)

Then I added some layers of color to it.

And then tested it out.

This section took about 8hrs total to complete, including drying time for all of the coats of paint, as well as the trip to the local home improvement store for the paint and spackle. Approximately $40 was spent on the paint and spackle supplies, the foam was spare so it was free but if you are wondering a 4'x8'x2" sheet is about $22.

Was fun for the whole fam and easy as pie to do. I am thinking it is time to make a full 4'x8' coarse.

Thank you for taking the time.
    Too bad the pictures have disappeared. If you're still around ( I know this is an old thread, but I just found it and would love to see how it looks) maybe you could post the pic's on a different hosting site? From the text it sounds like it could be a really cool course.