sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mog II

Default Mog II

It being a number of years since I built my original Mog, a rig I still really enjoy, I decided I would do another one using the experience I have gained since that first build.

So Mog II was born

It will be a cut down Unimog 406 cab similar in style to Mog I, but 1/9th ish scale rather than the 1/11 or so of the original and the tamiya/loops models version.

The current plan is to build up a custom chassis and use a combination of Mad Moose axles (with some slight mods) and GCM Gearbox and LRT2 transfer case.

The body is going to be custom like the original was but this time 3D printed.

So over the last couple of weeks I have been playing around in Sketchup and converting parts of 3D drawing by Kalli that I found on 3D warehouse (Mog 406)

I then chopped it up and spent many frustrating hours converting the image to be printable, I had to do it in 2 sections to fit my print bed and I still need to do the doors, bonnet and a few detail parts, but here is some pictures of the progress so far

The rear section is already printed (in ABS) and the front section is printing as I type, so hopefully in the next few days I can get some pictures of the actual items. This will definitely be slow build s I need to get the MAZ finished as well as the Range Rover and the running gear for the IH M5.

More as it happens, when it happens.

Well, this is a cool project! Real nice! I've wanted to play with a MOG for a while now.

This will be great. I really need to start learning how to do 3D printing stuff
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Can't wait Pete, your stuff is always so good.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by generis View Post
    Well, this is a cool project! Real nice! I've wanted to play with a MOG for a while now.
    Hmm, may be we can sort something out

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    This will be great. I really need to start learning how to do 3D printing stuff
    I think you would most likely pick it up quite fast as you have a good eye for form and can I suspect visualise the finished item as you build it. The nice thing about Sketchup is that it's free and there at least a gadzillion videos on the the Tube of you on how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Can't wait Pete, your stuff is always so good.
    Thanks, I not so sure about that but I do my best

Printing at a resolution of 0.1mm per layer is quite slow, and I had to restart the print this morning as I made silly error last night a ruined the print. So to illustrate how slow this process can be (and yes I could make it print faster but then I loose the quality) I took this earlier.

also got a few of the rear section, the print is in ABS and also done at 0.1mm resolution and apart from having to glue up a couple of cracks I caused when getting it off the print bed (the dark smudges) I have done no prep or finishing work on this.

Hopefully the next update will be late tomorrow or early monday, see you then

Well not quite early Monday , the estimated time for the completion was a little bit out 62 hours later, yes really . The front section is complete

Not had a chance to do any clean up on it yet besides removing the supports. I need to take a look at the head light area but other than that I very happy with the result.

The bonnet is now printing and I have finished modelling the doors.

Might try glueing the front to the back this afternoon.

More in the next few days, maybe.

Did grab a small amount of shed time, so glued the two pieces together. Result is pretty good just need to add a couple of fillets of filler to close a couple of minor gaps. I will also need to edit the rear section as a couple of faces ( backs of the foot wells) are about 2mm short.

Next up the bonnet, but not till tomorrow.

Well the printer has been working hard over the last few days, so I now have a bonnet and two doors
    Every thing still needs a good clean up but the fit is looking promising

The hood has a couple of minor defects, I think I got the wall thickness a little on the thin side.

When I sorted out the doors I added door pockets to the inside of them,

Progress will now slow down, as I am going to get on with some of my other projects that are closer to being finished.

406 is such iconical body and makes me happy to see this printing up. My father borrowed one of these from the work quite often back in the days and cant forget the smell of the diesel and grease inside.. Very tractor like athmosphere. I remember that it had three levers for the gears? Good to see that you pay careful attention to the interior details once again!

Brilliant Pete! Keep up the fantastic work.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast