sbg  

AE Element
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independent front suspension options

Default Independent front suspension options

Hello SBG!

I'm planning my next scratch build and want to have a IFS in it. It will be a four wheel drive with solid axle on the rear. I've seen many classic builds using the tub chassis or just the front of the Tamiyas CC-01 but would like to know if there is some other considerable options availabe today. It will be a very stock build so I guess that most of the SC/Buggy front ends can be ruled out due the way too long suspension arms.

So how would you build a scale realistic 4WD truck with IFS? Just stick with CC-01? All ideas and directs to build threads are very welcome!

Greetings, Heikki

Try one of the new Axial Yeti Jrs
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Using the front end of a HPI RS4 works pretty good in combination with a SCX 10 rear axle. It will accept the SCX diff.
    Look here in the forum. There are two Chevy Silverado builds using this set up.

Sven
    Scale building means to take huge efforts for smallest achievements!

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Try one of the new Axial Yeti Jrs
    That would be up the date! Thanks for the idea, did not find any from the EU retailers but that really doesn't mean that they would not have them here.. Maybe when they are available second hand but still in full price!

Quote Originally Posted by Colt1911 View Post
    Using the front end of a HPI RS4 works pretty good in combination with a SCX 10 rear axle. It will accept the SCX diff.
    Look here in the forum. There are two Chevy Silverado builds using this set up.

Sven
    Great, thanks! Found this thread and searching now for more information and parts available. Just this kind of help I was looking after. Big up!

Other ideas and discussion still very welcome!

Halme,
    With the set up I mentioned, you would need a transfer case that allows you to have different turning directions for front and rear output. If I remember correctly, the RS4 Frontend will accept the SCX10 diff in the wrong direction.
    Other options is to use a Yota I or II axle. That would eliminate the transfer case and would give you a little front overdrive of about 2-3%.

Sven
    Scale building means to take huge efforts for smallest achievements!

Quote Originally Posted by Colt1911 View Post
    Halme,
    With the set up I mentioned, you would need a transfer case that allows you to have different turning directions for front and rear output. If I remember correctly, the RS4 Frontend will accept the SCX10 diff in the wrong direction.
    Other options is to use a Yota I or II axle. That would eliminate the transfer case and would give you a little front overdrive of about 2-3%.

Sven
    Or run the Axial axle upside down
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Thanks for the info! Searched more about the topic and seems that RS4 is also same width than SCX-10 axles. I'll go that way unless I can score a very cheap CC-01 somewhere. Not looking for performance here as it is any way too overrated.

I was wondering if you had come up with anything yet.... I'm always looking for ideas, especially if you chose to get a CC-01.
    I've been working on my CC-01 Landfreeder, that's bound to become more mods than stock! I did manage to completely sort the sloppy steering!! �������� The only looseness in my whole front end, now comes from the aluminum control arms, and the wheel bearings!
    Next is to TRY to soften the suspension.

So..... I'm going to keep an eye on what you and some others do! ��

Here is my ifs scratch built using different rc parts. Lower control arm from cc01 and hub. Yota axles from rc4wd. Scratch built lower control arm mounts, sprindle, upper contol arm and shock hoops.

With yota axles

Quote Originally Posted by OldfartRC View Post
    I was wondering if you had come up with anything yet.... I'm always looking for ideas, especially if you chose to get a CC-01.
    Big plans are made for sure! I've decided to order HPI RS4 parts for front setup and run Axial gears, like Colt1911 suggested. Will post the parts list here later for future reference.
    I was trying to source a used CC-01 but had no luck and thats good because then I would have probably end up to upgrade and drive it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bonards29 View Post
    Here is my ifs scratch built using different rc parts. Lower control arm from cc01 and hub. Yota axles from rc4wd. Scratch built lower control arm mounts, sprindle, upper contol arm and shock hoops.
    So cool and very inspirating! I dont feel that my metal works are yet that accurate.

IFS setups and comments are still very welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast