sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Cat Speedster Jag Project

The weather warmed up so I went for it and shot a coat of primer. I'm both encouraged and discouraged. It's good to see it one color, but there's nothing like a coat of paint to expose how much more body work you have to do to be ready for top coating. I can run my hands over the whole thing and think it's pretty smooth and the paint says otherwise. Nonetheless, it was a step forward - a little bit anyway. I made a new headrest detail which still needs lots of finishing but it's more to my liking than what I've had before. I need to remove the screws, fill and put the front on it as well as figure out how it will be attached.

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

Lots of sanding, more filling, and reworking a few spots including the rear end. The weather warmed up enough to spray another coat of primer and here's where we are at. The primer shows me what needs more work and this time around it looks pretty good. There are a few more spots and then it will be more primer and wet sanding. I am eager to finish coat it! I wish there wasn't so much left to sort out. Rear and front spoilers need to be worked out, the tail light mounting needs to be figured out more thoroughly and some other details so I've got a good while before I can do the British Racing Green on it.

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

What a gorgeous car. Fantastic.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Haven't been able to do anything big with it, but did some work on the back end fashioning all new metal pieces, integrating the original license plate surround as well. I also wanted to figure out how I would attach the tail light lenses I had roughed out last year. Speaking of tail lights - I ended up ruining the one of the lenses I had (took off too much) and thought I had more of the material, but I was lacking enough redo it so I went in a new direction with a discarded reflector off a bike. It gets me a little closer to a cross between a Series 3 tail lamp and a more modern look. I still have to tweak it some, but at least I know if I mess it up I have enough to do another pair. I changed the angle of the spoiler and will remake that too for a tighter fit. I also need to make a front spoiler.

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

Grate looking car

Thanks for the encouragement. Did a few more small things. Reworked the rear spoiler into a front spoiler. Fashioned a new rear spoiler and I am not totally satisfied, but it works for now. I did more shaping on the tail lights and will probably do some wrap around bumpers such as were on the Series 3 XKE to go over the top of the tail lights. I still have to go back over and fill some spots and will have to retouch the primer before wet sanding, but final prep for paint is a ways off. I'm going to fabricate a seat, (for a driver to be made later), cover the passenger side with a metal lid and do a small instrument panel w steering wheel. I also have to redo the headlight buckets a bit and figure out the attachment for the lenses. Here's some shots.

Front Spoiler
    IMG_1787.JPG

Rear Spoiler
    IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

Beautiful progress! That last pic looks all business. Seeing it prepped and sanded smooth is good, and I like the rear lights look you got going, fits the car nicely.

Thanks folks. I plug on slowly. Worked a little on the headrest (not sure what it is called - that streamliner thing behind the driver's head) to get a tighter fit to the body. Still more to be done to get it to sit more flush. Also worked on the rear spoiler trying to regain some of the wrap around idea of the first one with the better fit of the 2nd one. I like this one best so I will likely go with it. It flows a little better with the rounded shape of the rear.

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

More tidying up and working out some features before painting. I made another iteration of the side pipes. I was wanting to go for a set with a header coming out from under the rocker panel but my approach didn't work. I tried 1/8" aluminum rod bent to shape w some tighter 90 degree bends to go under the rocker panel and I was going thicken it using shrink insulation but ran into trouble because the shrink tubing doesn't like 90 degree bends. When you can get it to go around the bend it leaves a bubble on the interior of the bend. Scrap that. I decided to mate the starter pipes of the first version with a single pipe. I found some scrap aluminum tubing that was good size but had a thicker wall to it. I filled it with sand and taped the ends shut and annealed the spot for the bend and the receiver end where I was going to flatten it to fit the two incoming pipes. My previous attempts at bending aluminum tubing failed in part because I don't think I annealed it enough and it tore open. I've been using a brake line tubing bender for this because the spring benders can get stuck. This time the thicker wall helped and heating them sufficiently as well. When it still felt too stiff I heated some more and the tubing gave in much more easily. Mission accomplished. I adapted the brass pipes cutting them a bit to fit in and then used a piece of shrink insulation to seal the joint so to speak. I still need to sand and paint and will do that as soon as I am settled with this version. I'd love to figure out how to make a header with 4 pipes coming in.

Another thing I made was a small bumper trim for each side of the rear. I took the same 1/8" aluminum rod and curved it and then flattened it with a hammer. Then filed and sanded it to a more finished shape. I still haven't figured out how I will attach it, but that is not a worry. I'll also have to figure out whether to paint it or polish it and clear coat it. A worry for another day. Here's some pics.
    What I am able to do so far.
    IMG_1829.JPG

What I wish I could do.
    IMG_1828.JPG

A little neater in the back.
    IMG_1830.JPG

Terrific work. Really enjoy seeing your progress.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast