sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Cat Speedster Jag Project

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    These Jaguars are just amazingly sexy cars. Wide fenders only add to the shape. I cannot wait to see more.

What scale is that body?
    It is a 1/8 scale monogram Jaguar E Type coupe that was a basket case. My guess is the original body was from the mid 1960's issue as it had been smashed and poorly repaired and the roof kept cracking. I figured there was no saving it so I removed the roof and shortened the wheel base very carefully (1/4" from the cowl, 1/4" from the back of each door and about 3/8" over the rear fenders. I got a newer clam shell hood and a couple of doors to replace the very fragile originals so the only original body pieces are the cowl and rear end. Also, the sills are a little shallower than the original to keep it from looking too fat in the middle and to hide that it has been shortened. My track on my car is nearly 9" wide and the body is about 8.5" in the front and 8.25" in the rear, which is the reason for the overfenders. The link from another site where I post is earlier on in this post and shows shows what I started with.

I've had to lay of the building for some months now with the busyness of work and having renovation work done on the house. I'm doing a bit here and there but this is a slow one and much of the structural details to support this body are still being fleshed out. A roof and non opening doors made the vette comparitively easy to sort out. The doors won't open on this one but they are separate pieces. I worked out some details with the fender flares - still mock ups but more to my liking. I also went to work on bending tubing for the side pipes I envisioned. I tried the sand fill process since the tubing is a little bigger than my tubing bender springs. I bought pre-annealled tubing both in aluminum and brass. The aluminum snapped open so no go on that one, but the brass was easy and the technique worked pretty well. Here's some of the latest shots. Nothing special but some progress nonetheless.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Interesting and different. Keep up the good work!

This is such a slow process! I'm still fleshing things out but the most recent steps forward is that the doors are now permanently glued shut and reinforced from behind so as to further stiffen the body. The hood clamshell is still not attached and I am mulling over ways to do that. I am still working on the rear flares which will extend over the doors but have a cut line as if the doors open and the front of the flare moves with them, hence the partially cut flare you see hanging on with blue painters tape. I also worked on fleshing out the rear end treatment - it's still rough but pretty much in the direction I am going with it. The tail lights have to be cut down some more but you get the idea. The headrest/whatever you call it is newly made from some airplane wheel pants I picked up on clearance. It more reflects the curvature of the rear end and the overall body but a little wider than I want. The roll bar will sit more upright and is just resting in place. Here's a few shots.

Very cleaver, you have a very keen eye for these builds. The Vette, now this Jag. Very well done so far...looking forward to more updates!

Slow, but oh so gratifying. Keep going sir, there's a beautiful build here.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Working on finishing the fleshing out of the rear fender flares. This is pretty much what I will run with but those items left to be sorted are mounting them to the body and filling and sanding seams on the flares. Still a bit more shaping to be done as well so that they fit tight up against the body. I will not fill those seams but don't want any gaps. I will do similar to the bottom of the front flares, but not as much material added to the bottom. My goal is to have this ready to primer by the end of summer but with some of my traveling and other work that might actually be a bit ambitious for me! - Lord willing we'll get it done.

NOTE: Since the issues with Photobucket I have uploaded the latest photos directly to the site. If you are not yet a member you will not be able to see the photos without logging in. I encourage you to join up. There is a free level membership which will allow these photos to be viewed as well as those of other builds who upload direct to the site. There are lots of great builds to see here!

I was hoping to get farther on this this summer but the time has not been there to work on it. My goal was to get everything fitted, filled and hopefully primered so I could fine tune things and maybe get it finished by the end of the year, but this, like the vette project, will just have to drag on a while. My teaching year starts in two weeks and I have some travel before that kicks in so here is what I have. All this is rough still and there are lots of adjustments that need to happen. The fender flares are attached but not permanent yet. I just made the rough formed side pipes to get a feel for the proportions and placement. I'll make a few adjustments to them and set them aside. I need to figure out my bonnet/hood clamshell mounting. I don't think I will have it open because I need the rigidity - as much as is possible for the entire body, and I am not sure I can do justice to fabricating an engine. The windscreen is the original junk piece the car came with and will not be used but I will be using it to make a template once I get it shaped the way I want. That said, here it is in all of its roughness, crude fabrication that it is.

1.jpg

1.jpg

NOTE: Since the issues with Photobucket I have uploaded the latest photos directly to the site. If you are not yet a member you will not be able to see the photos without logging in. I encourage you to join up. There is a free level membership which will allow these photos to be viewed as well as those of other builds who upload direct to the site. There are lots of great builds to see here!

Some overhead shots. Part of the slowness on my part is I am picky about proportions and I mock things up and look at it from different angles. I've been even more "freestyle" with this build than the last one and if the expression, "Everything is created twice" as in the thought and then the actual is true, then with me it's everything is created two, three - scrap that four times! I have the vision in my head and could even draw it out, but the engineering considerations - making sure it won't break in half and making it as light as possible always changes things. Anyway, here's what I am staring at these days and thinking, "does this spoiler make her butt look fat!"

1.jpg

Jag Project Overhead 1.jpg

1.jpg

I think the proportions are perfect, side exhaust is awesome! Progress may be slow, but very cool to follow!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast