sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Fat Cat Speedster Jag Project

I like the green! Is it getting a yellow Jimmy Clark-style stripe? (The correct answer is "yes.")

Quote Originally Posted by markbt73 View Post
    I like the green! Is it getting a yellow Jimmy Clark-style stripe? (The correct answer is "yes.")
    Actually I'm going with the green along with white accents - staying more Jaggy than Lotusy mixing the classic w a restomod look. White chin spoiler, white rear spoiler, and a white accent on the headrest feature along with white side pipes. I still have to work on the top coat but have to order more paint since my local source went out of business.

After reading up on the painting side of things, I think the issue with my Jag paint job was that the solvent evaporated too fast and the atomized particles did not flow together. A combination of distance from the can to the body and outdoor temp which was about 82 degrees F. I will sand it down with a very fine grade of paper and clean it and apply a couple more coats with the can closer. Any advice on clear coating is appreciated. I have to order cans of both color and clear.

I solved the paint problem. First I ordered paint which came very quickly so I was painting last Wednesday, got two more coats of color and had clear on it the next day. The issue with the paint had to do with my living in the Gulf south and painting in a temperature of 85 degrees which was causing the solvent in the paint to evaporate too quickly at a distance of 6 or 7 inches from can to body. In order to get the shine, I had to paint within 4 inches and the results were much better. The same was true of the clear coat. Then I went to work on reassembly and making a new windscreen since I changed the A pillars. The disc brakes are not on this chassis as this is the new one and the ones I made will not work for the hub assemblies. I am still figuring as solution to that. Here are some shots. I'm at the 90 % mark. The driver and seat will have to be modified because the motor juts out right where the seat was. Another problem to solve. Here are some shots.

IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

My daughter has a nicer camera and I will attempt some better shots when time permits.

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some shots with the finished headrest fairing highlight. Shot some video too. We'll see how that upload goes once I can do some editing.

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

It's been fun running this one around the driveway. I hope to get it to a more open parking lot sometime. I have to do some work on my driver Guillermo Del Torso as the new chassis motor location protrudes into the driver seat area. He may be edited down to Armando Chester.

this is nicest UK car i have ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    this is nicest UK car i have ever seen
    Thanks very much. My two favorite Jags are the Lightweight E Type Coupes and the XJ13 that never raced. My inspiration also came from the car below.

Jaguar XKE BRG 5.jpg

I made a video showing the progression from wreck to the final result and will post it once it's uploaded. I went into this improvising and experimenting and learned a lot along the way. It is by no means perfect, but it pushed my skill level and I was determined to finish it. Not sure what's next but there are a few ideas for a more scratch built body - a Lotus Super 7 Super sized concept and an analog to a Lancia Stratos with a longer wheelbase are rattling inside my head of late.

A little video synopsis of the build and some running. Hard to take good video while driving at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2zx_aEFdpQ

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011