sbg  

GearHead
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Cat Speedster Jag Project

Default Fat Cat Speedster Jag Project

"Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it." My mother used to say that and it has now become reality (once again). I was searching for a Jag body to possibly fit to my RC, but didn't want to do any alteration to an intact body. They are hard to get and tend to run out of my price range on eBay. Well this carcass showed up and the price was right, but it was in rougher shape than I imagined. Aside from the whole hood and nose being cracked in two, the roof was cracked and the floor pan too. Lots of parts are missing too, but the basic body shell had all the pieces. I separated the floorpan and firewall, and started figuring where I will alter it. My vision for this is as a speedster and i had hoped to use the roof as part of the back deck but the plastic was so prone to cracking I went with an aluminum sheet deck which lacks the sexy curves, but will be better in the long run in terms of strength and lighter weight.

The original build thread is here:
    http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...junk-heap.html

and I won't repost all the entries here, but you see some of the inspirations and conceptual ideas that I am working toward, but it will likely end up a bit different.

Here are some of the last shots I took before I dismantled it and put it away to focus on the Vette. Some challenges with this one is the multi piece body which no longer has a roof structure to tie it together. I am working through some ideas to join all but the clamshell hood as one piece and make the hood removable to mount the body with a similar fixture as is on the Vette. The vette hood removes so you can detach the front mount and the Jag would likely do the same.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I will be implying that there is a V12 under the hood with side pipes ala Bob Tulius' Group 44 Jag E Type Roadster. We will see how it all shakes out but this will be a slow build now that my summer break is done.

This should be an great follow up to the awesome Junk GTZ build. Very cool start so far!

I had a thought come to mind as to how to support this body underneath by making a partial monocoque out of sheet aluminum which would replace the current rocker panels and be joined by a couple of bulkheads - one just in front of the rear wheels and one right at the firewall with a piece of flat aluminum bar stock I have serving as a backbone. The backbone piece could continue all the way to the front mounting point but would be hidden by the clamshell hood and the center piece of the speedster body top. Has any one of you made a monocoque chassis before? Any insights to share? I'm not an engineer by training - not even close, but I paid attention enough in junior high shop class to figure out how to fold a piece of metal.

Some recent inspiration for my build. If only I had these metal forming skills! The rear flares are exactly how I'd like to do them and if it weren't for the need for a solid 1 piece rear deck for support I'd do the back end this way too. My build will be slow and a lot of trial and error. Currently working with trying to meld some airplane wheel pants into the rear fenders to widen the body and cover the fat rearend. I in the experimenting stage before I go to join the body pieces together because once I do they won't be coming apart. I'll post photos once I sort out the back end. In the meantime, enjoy this spectacular jag build by someone who turned a basket case into a beauty. Purists might want to cover their eyes!

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/09/...e-built-drift/

Wow what a basket case that was, it is an amazing build now! Those fenders do look awesome on it. With your skills you will get very close I feel!

I've made a little progress and fleshed out the monocoque part of this though not finalized it. I made new sills of aluminum and joined them using the original firewall and formed a rear bulkhead of aluminum that joins them just behind the driver's seat area. The challeng with this car is it is a multipiece body with no roof to add stiffness and this monocoque has no floor either. I recut the rear deck lid and the center brace and cockpit pods at the cowl as one piece so as to form a backbone. Once it is attached permanently to the firewall I should be set. I will join the cowl, doors and rear quarter panels from behind using cloth tape and epoxy to sort of fiberglass them together. I will also be doing the same with the rear deck and rear fenders to make them one piece.

I started reworking the overfenders/flares going back to using wheel plants from an RC airplane. After a couple of failed iterations of that I think I'm on the right track now having turned the rear ones around. With the rear track being so wide it was hard to meld the overfenders into the rear taper. They were not curved enough so flipping them basically avoided that challenge and looks better to my eye. I still have to figure out the underside of the fenders as well. It will eventually have side pipes too, but my mock ups were not to my liking and sorting this body out takes more time and effort than anticipated.

I have no tail lights for this jag and haven't been able to find any. They seldom come up on ebay and are often pricey so I am doing a sort of Series III E Type tail treatment with the lights below the rear bumper line which is why the tail light indentations are filled in and the bottom of the back cut out. Still lots to do on that part too. I'm not in a rush and there are some other things to handle during this part of my work season so maybe around the end of the year I'll get a bit more time to work it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Wow, just amazing, you have a real vision for turning a basic, stock body, be it Vette or Jag, into a real believable very scale appearing race car! Great fab work!

Agreed ^^^^^^^
    I can see the vision and direction.
    Their are some real beautiful lines coming about with it.
    Already looks fast no doubt.
    Going to be pretty sweet.
    Run what Ya Brung.

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    Wow, just amazing, you have a real vision for turning a basic, stock body, be it Vette or Jag, into a real believable very scale appearing race car! Great fab work!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
    Agreed ^^^^^^^
    I can see the vision and direction.
    Their are some real beautiful lines coming about with it.
    Already looks fast no doubt.
    Going to be pretty sweet.
    Thanks guys. I wish I could get it done faster but I spend almost as much time mocking it up as making the pieces and then eyeballing it, changing it and finally getting what I'm looking for and the hard part is, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for! I just know it when it is right or nearly so.

These Jaguars are just amazingly sexy cars. Wide fenders only add to the shape. I cannot wait to see more.

What scale is that body?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast