sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Portal

Default Project Portal

So as I don't have enough projects and commissions on the go at the moment I have made a start on another one ::doh::

I scored a second hand spanish range rover shell and picked it up at the UK G6.

and also managed to get a set of the pre-production portal axles from Mad Moose RC the axles are copies of 1:1 Volvo C303 axles and the pre-production ones run Ascender internals, they look like this :-

The axles are due to arrive in the near future, I am really looking forward to getting my hands on them.

So started project portal.

Well actually I sawed the back end off the Range Rover and removed a section and glued it all back together again and started making it a three door, but hey it's a start

I also purchased the metal for the chassis. Other than that I haven't decided what motor/gearbox/transfer case I am going to use but I am leaning towards an R4 and GCMs new drop case transfer box.

Progress will be slow on this for a while but I will try to keep this thread up to date.

Nice parts to start with! 303 axles under a rover seem to be a common swap in 1:1. Is that a 6x6 304 in the background ?

Regards

Flo

Any build that starts by cutting a rare body with a saw has my attention
    [B]SBG Junior Vice President

Quote Originally Posted by chimeraa View Post
    Nice parts to start with! 303 axles under a rover seem to be a common swap in 1:1. Is that a 6x6 304 in the background ?

Regards

Flo
    Hi Flo, Yep quite common in the 1:1 world which adds a nice touch of authenticity to the build. The Volvo is a 303 6x6, it's a commission for a member of a UK forum.

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Any build that starts by cutting a rare body with a saw has my attention
    Thanks, The decision was easy with this one as it already had the hood cut by a previous owner and some damage to the rear.

Awesome to see you started a thread Pete! Your portals are boxed up and headed out tomorrow!

I'm so happy to see these bodies floating around. And cut up. Good one sir. Those axles are killer.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Mmmmm portals and hacked up rare body....

Please continue.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMooseRC View Post
    Awesome to see you started a thread Pete! Your portals are boxed up and headed out tomorrow!
    Cheers, although I think the dispatch date may have proven a little optamistic

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    I'm so happy to see these bodies floating around. And cut up. Good one sir. Those axles are killer.
    Why thank you sir I am really looking forward to getting my hands on them, once the minor issues with the link mounts is sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
    Mmmmm portals and hacked up rare body....

Please continue.
    As you asked so nicely

Not much progress as I am still waiting on the axles, as there have been some very minor issues with the print quality of the rear link mount which I am happy to say MadMoose have been very quick to address and resolve.

However I have been playing with my 3d printer having found a nice V8 model on Thingyverse. I still need to print off a load more detail parts for it, but the big bits are done and painted

I have also started playing about with Sketchup, and am part way through designing a 2:1 ratio transfer case for this.

Paper drawings before trying to make them digital

More as I achieve it

I have put the T-case designing on hold, and gone for a different and more aesthetic solution see below for details

Slowly accumulating parts,

Got these in the post the other day, a smallish part of the suspension

The reprinting of the manifolds has begun

I also placed an order with GCM for the new SSD gearbox / GCM LR T2-case combo.

The nice thing about this combo is it gives a 14.3:1 reduction rather than the 10.5:1 of the RC4WD R4.

More soon.

More reduction is more good. I like trucks. That is all.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast