sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherokee XJ 313mm Hardbody Class 1 Build

Default Cherokee XJ 313mm Hardbody Class 1 Build

The dick cepek tires at just under 4 are the most scale looking to me. 1.55 wheels look the best, but there aren't any 1.55 tires that look quite as good as the 1.9 dirt grabber and dick cepek tires do especially if you lower the body/ride height. GCM has a build thread on two of these Ascenders if I'm not mistaken - a civilian and a military version. One had the 1.9 dirt grabbers (military) and the other the 1.9 cepeks and even though I'm not crazy about the way the cepeks look, the cepeks do look slightly more scale. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by avgatbest View Post
    The dick cepek tires at just under 4 are the most scale looking to me. 1.55 wheels look the best, but there aren't any 1.55 tires that look quite as good as the 1.9 dirt grabber and dick cepek tires do especially if you lower the body/ride height. GCM has a build thread on two of these Ascenders if I'm not mistaken - a civilian and a military version. One had the 1.9 dirt grabbers (military) and the other the 1.9 cepeks and even though I'm not crazy about the way the cepeks look, the cepeks do look slightly more scale. Just my two cents.
    Thanks!

I agree. I love how the dirt grabbers look. And I'm also not a huge fan of the dick cepeks side tread.

I saw GCM threads. I use them as reference points as much as I can. He used the dick cepek 1.9 fun country I believe. I was looking into the "mud country". Which I think are the ones your talking about.

I made the mistake once of getting 1.55 rc4wd desert kings for my scx10/proline cherokee body build. And while very scale looking, they are a bit too small. Tires and rims arnt exactly cheap. So now I always worry about them being too small.

I plan on lowering the body to a stock ride height. Or maybe a slight lift.

Having a hard time deciding on tires, but your comment helped.

Long ramble..

Anyone who saw my JK 2 door build:

Honestly, do you think the exhaust was worth the time/space? I'm debating whether or not this one gets it. It'll be much less loud on this build.

Do they award points for exhaust? I'll have to look up the rules.

About exhaust.. In scale building details are always worth of effort! But it really depends how you are going to drive this. You ask about points in scale comps so I assume that you are going to comp this one. Exhaust gives you one non-funtional item point (realistic exterior items, max +6) but prepare to pick it up from the ground since it will take a lot of smashing.

Points matter only when comping, so maybe you could make it removeable, keep it there on easy trails and try to get points from something else when going to competitions?

Scale competition rules can be found here, http://sorrca.com/rules/2016rules.pdf
    Good luck to your build, setup looks mighty fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustinf11 View Post

Honestly, do you think the exhaust was worth the time/space? I'm debating whether or not this one gets it. It'll be much less loud on this build.

I think building a physical exhaust is a definite yes. But having it spew smoke is probably a bit of over kill for a build like this. Have you decided on wheels for this yet? Im hoping you keep them small.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I think building a physical exhaust is a definite yes. But having it spew smoke is probably a bit of over kill for a build like this. Have you decided on wheels for this yet? Im hoping you keep them small.

[QUOTE=Prop Shaft;236768]I think building a physical exhaust is a definite yes. But having it spew smoke is probably a bit of over kill for a build like this. Have you decided on wheels for this yet? Im hoping you keep them small.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I think I'm going with the 1.9 dirt grabbers. They are pretty small. And like imthatguy said, they might be too small. But they looked great on Chris' build, and the k5 body is massive.

If I can get the ride height low, they should work. I'm probably use normal/boring stamped steel wheels. Simple and scale looking.

As of right now, I plan on scratch building a full interior and Cantilever rear shocks.

The interior pieces being made for this are great, but I didn't get to them in time. And I'd like to try my hand as carving. I did a scratch interior for my twin hammers, but this will be a whole new level.

Thanks for the input!

I think the smaller the tire in the scale world speaks volumes to real world appearance. Yes if you do the math there are some 1:1's that run the larger tires, but they are alot more rare and relate to more extreme 1:1 builds. Not many scale builders go with the smaller, more common in the 1:1 world, wheel size. Everytime I see a build with everyday tire size and stance, I always do a double take. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the interior. I definitely want to build one of these and I am eager to pick up any pointers along the way.

If any of you have a set of 1.9 dirt grabbers, could you do a quick measurement? I know rc4wd's website says 3.85", but none of my tires measure out to what is listed. My challengers measure 4.5" and list as 4.24". Could be the foams.

Thanks! I'm trying to do a mock up before deciding and ordering.

Side note:

I'll never get used to spending money on a kit, and then pulling half of the parts off and throwing them in a box. Along with the tires, shocks and body. I cut the body to shape, but may just sell it off.

Anyway... body mounts and interior were the two big ones getting too me.

Luckily I have something in mind for mounting the body. At least for the back part. I wish they added some posts or tabs. I don't really trust glue enough to add them.

Dramatic side note over.

Default Cherokee XJ 313mm Hardbody Class 1 Build

I'll let you know. I have a set of 1.9 dirt grabbers, Baja mtz, challengers, gmade mts, and I think 2 others all on the way in the mail. I also have a set of the 1.55 mud slingers which are 4.2 high I believe.

Edit: forgot to mention I don't have them yet they are being shipped :)

If any of you have a set of 1.9 dirt grabbers, could you do a quick measurement? I know rc4wd's website says 3.85", but none of my tires measure out to what is listed. My challengers measure 4.5" and list as 4.24". Could be the foams.

Thanks! I'm trying to do a mock up before deciding and ordering.
    I'll let you know. I have a set of 1.9 dirt grabbers, Baja mtz, challengers, gmade mts, and I think 2 others. I also have a set of the 1.55 mud slingers which are 4.2 high I believe.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast