sbg  

AE Element
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corvette Gran Sport Revival ala FIA GT3

I agree, prep again, sand, re prime, and let cure and gas out, or let the solvents evaporate thoroughly, then wipe and reapply base coat. You've got an amazing build, now the paint just takes time!

Sent from My Galaxy using the Force

Thanks very much guys! I greatly appreciate it.

Larry

Okay folks, I decided to experiment. I found and bought the French Blue Tamiya Lacquer since it was the color I wanted in the first place. I primered with Tamiya lacquer primer an already painted part (with Krylon) after sanding it and got no reaction so it seems I can paint over the Krylon with no reactive effects. I also painted another part without primering and also got no reaction which is a relief so I can actually repaint the whole thing after sanding and cleaning and not worry so much about reaction. My next question is how do you bring the gloss out in lacquer? Do you clear coat? Do you rub it out with a polish or rubbing compound? I've never really worked with lacquer before so any help would be greatly appreciated. My summer break is nearing an end so my opportunity to work on this will end in a few weeks. I'd love to get the paint job done before school starts again.

Well, the following is what has worked and has turned out to be acceptable finishes for me, IMO. With Tamiya lacquers, I will of course wet sand the primer coat, then cheese cloth the surface. Apply the color coat, a couple of coats, dust coats first then a little heavier coat, let dry overnight, wet sand - I never went over board with numerous grits, usually 1500, 2000 then dry, cheese cloth and two or three coats of clear. Especially with the blue you chose, the color will "pop" after the clear is applied. Then, repeat the sanding process, stay off the edges and sharp corners, a round of hand applied rubbing compound, hand glaze / wax and hurry up and show us this awesome Vette in color!

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    Well, the following is what has worked and has turned out to be acceptable finishes for me, IMO. With Tamiya lacquers, I will of course wet sand the primer coat, then cheese cloth the surface. Apply the color coat, a couple of coats, dust coats first then a little heavier coat, let dry overnight, wet sand - I never went over board with numerous grits, usually 1500, 2000 then dry, cheese cloth and two or three coats of clear. Especially with the blue you chose, the color will "pop" after the clear is applied. Then, repeat the sanding process, stay off the edges and sharp corners, a round of hand applied rubbing compound, hand glaze / wax and hurry up and show us this awesome Vette in color!
    Thanks Joe. I've tried to follow your advice on it and for the most part it is turning out pretty nicely. I just wet sanded and put down a second and what will likely be final coat of French Blue and will clear coat after it dries. The Tamiya paint has been so much better to work with. I was expecting lacquer to be much harder to get good coverage with, but it's been the exact opposite. It will not be perfect, but it will look nice and I am ready to move on to another project I have in the works. I'll post pics as soon as I reattach all the various parts and set it on the chassis.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]
    Last edited by JunkGTZ; 08-04-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: duplication

Quote Originally Posted by JunkGTZ View Post
    Thanks Joe. I've tried to follow your advice on it and for the most part it is turning out pretty nicely. I just wet sanded and put down a second and what will likely be final coat of French Blue and will clear coat after it dries. The Tamiya paint has been so much better to work with. I was expecting lacquer to be much harder to get good coverage with, but it's been the exact opposite. It will not be perfect, but it will look nice and I am ready to move on to another project I have in the works. I'll post pics as soon as I reattach all the various parts and set it on the chassis.

Sounds like your happy with the results, looking forward to photos!

Quote Originally Posted by JunkGTZ View Post

Sounds like your happy with the results, looking forward to photos!

Painting is still in progress. I have a few spots to touch up and then clear coat. Ran out of paint and suspect I need another can of clear as well so I have ordered those and in the meantime, I pieced it together to show a few shots. Not perfect, but still looks much better than my start. Tamiya French Blue is the main color. Krylon black satin is the color on the other parts.

Awesome! Just an amazing build, so much fabrication, perfect color choice.....KILLER!

The paint makes the beautiful lines show even more, really liking everything you have done to it. Awesome.

I put on what will have to be my last coat of blue and am waiting for it to cure. I fabricated a new front spoiler and a trim piece to cover the gap in back of the rear spoiler and threw a coat of black satin on the hood along with the pieces I made. Clear coat will go on on Monday weather permitting. We've had a lot of rain and the humidity has been up near 72% outside so painting has had to wait.

I also worked on the side windows cutting out the square hole and faking a sliding panel like a GT class car has. The windshield and side windows and rear window are all polycarbonate from plastic packaging since the original windows were heavy, and distorted the view of the interior. My hope has been to build a modest interior and even put a driver in it, but I may wait on those details for later as I have a jag project I am eager to start. This has been such a slow process - the build and everything else and I'm not given to copious amounts of patience. I'm going to put a white number circle on the side and a pair of white stripes over the top of the front fenders, finish off the hood scoop and call it done.....I hope.

In the meantime, Here's a hint of the next coming attraction:

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...junk-heap.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast