sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Russian Truck

Default Large Russian Truck (MAZ 535)

So besides building little turks, I have recently being playing a PC game called 'Spintires' which involves hauling logs around fictional bits of Siberia in various old Russian trucks. Playing this game has led to the inspiration for my next big build, a MAZ 535 8x8.

For reference this is what the MAZ looks like

Oh and this is going to be a big truck when it's done as I am looking at building it at around 1:9.5 to 1:9 scale. I have settled on this size for a couple of reasons, one so looks right with other rigs and two because of the drivetrain being a little unconventional. Now the unconventional thing about this truck and its successors are that they have full independent suspension rather than solid axles.

Whilst looking for suitable donor running gear I acquired an Axial EXO in a trade. A quick bit of maths and a measure of the EXO track width and I had a plan. Next I acquired a second chassis from a mate for a good price so now I had 4 'axles' 2 steering and 2 non steering, a scale to work too

Being a wimp, I have commissioned Dready to build the cab, as I didn't fancy taking on all those louvers

Today I laid out the 'axles' to get a feel for how big this is going to be

I have asked Dready to post up some pictures as he builds the cab.
    Not sure how fast this will progress, as I want to get both the Unimog's up and running first.

Woah, cool! Not sure I have seen one of those trucks before..

...DO IT ... ... that will be "great" ... in any meaning of the word!
    Cool idea, to build it in 1/9 .... so I am very curious

In case of doubt ...."lost in translation"

Happy to help Pete out with the Cab and look forward to a pretty interesting driveline by the looks of those Doner parts!!!
    Where's that Postman with my styrene?

Right on!
    Yeah i played that game a bunch when it showed up. Pretty inspiring for builds alright.
    I'd like to build one of the 6x6's one day, with a bed and a big load of logs.
    Be a fun new challenge hauling it through the trails all tippy.

Oh yeah! And it's going to be at a proper scale too! So what's the plan for the axles? Do those Exo units allow for a pass through or do you have something else up your sleeve?
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Looking forward to this! Great idea using Exo axles. I hope you'll be able to find some proper goopy mud to drive it through like in the game.

It's going to be huge!

Ethan

Default Large Russian Truck

Love the game. Love the idea. Watching this build for sure. And I love my Exo terra buggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes! When it comes to steel, the russian steel is the best steel. Or atleast thickest. Good luck to this huge project for both of you!

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast