sbg  

AE Element 2

Thread: How to Scale blueprints and print them????

Default How to Scale blueprints and print them????

So I am trying to scale and print some blueprints of a pinzigauer I have found, so far I have used about 200 sheets of paper out of the printer and nothing to show from it. I would like to get into more scratch building and am finding this process to be quite difficult and I am sure it isn't that tough once you know what you are doing. Can someone please point me in the right direction or assist me in the correct way to scale drawings so I can move forward.

So this is what I ended up with, you can see the original picture I started with. I cut out the side view and scaled up to 410% to get the tire to fit, this is an RC4WD Mud Slinger, I will be using the RC4Wd Trail Buster which is slightly larger. I then cut out the front view and scaled to 330% to get the front and side profile to match up. It took a lot of printing and reprinting to get things right. Is there a better way to do this???

Also I wasn't expecting it to be so large, the ruler in the picture is 15" long, front front to rear bumper it is 22.5" inches in length.

What are your thoughts on the size, too big??? And is there an easier way to accomplish this task???

Your comments are appreciated.

This is a pretty straightforward thing.

Step One: Find a blueprint - you've already got that.

Step Two: Photoshop, Gimp, Illustrator, whatever. Open it in that. Make sure you're working in a document size relative to the size paper you're printing on, ie. 8.5x11"

Step Three: Find out the true wheelbase of the vehicle you want to make (in inches) and divide it by whatever scale you're working in (I work in 1/9th). So say, you've got a vehicle with a wheelbase of 90 inches/9 = 10 inch wheelbase in 1/9th scale.

Step Four: Scale your original blueprint to match the new smaller wheelbase. In photoshop I turn on rulers and use guides to mark it out on my document.

Step Five: Print. Sometimes you need to do multiple copies in order get all the bits as most vehicles are longer than 11 inches. Move the document around in order to get it all in the print.

Pretty simple.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Well, you pretty much got it, but matching scale to tire size isn't a great idea. You're not really scaling it to anything in particular, hence why you've got a nearly two foot long Pinzgauer.

Right now it works out to almost 1/9th scale I believe as the original 712K full length was 4955 millimetres or 195 inches which works out to 21.6 inches, where Im at right now is 22.5 inches. Does this seem correct?

Can I ask why you prefer to work in 1/9 scale? Also I checked out photoshop, do you know of any site that I can get this for free or do I have to pay to use it?? Your feedback is appreciated.

I work in 1/9th because that's what the Tamiya Hilux is built to. Best scale ever.

And yeah, I guess your 6x6 length would be around 22 inches in length!

As for photoshop, I pay for it. They may have a lower priced, or 30 day trial but no free options. You get what you pay for.

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I got a copy of Photoshop and have been messing around on it a bit. I haven't figure out how to operate the ruler correctly yet but Ill get it Im sure. I plan on building many trucks so really its a necesity to learn.

Anyhow, thanks again!

I use A CAD program (AutoCAD at work and a free CAD program at home) I import the image "blueprint" or even a photo, scale it up to full 1:1 scale, then I can plot it out to any scale I want. As with any CAD program there is a small learning curve, but this one I did for a friend took less than 10 minutes to import, scale and plot on one sheet of paper.