sbg  

GearHead
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where can I get a scale driver?

Actually, the Defender and Land Cruiser are oddly scaled. At an average they both need an 8.5-inch figure

Compute this by dividing the 1:1 wheelbase by the RC wheelbase and you get na approximation of what scale the Defender and LandCruiser really use.

The RC4WD Defender 90 and 110 are in 1:8.46 scale while the Land Cruiser is 1:8.3 scale.

The reason you may find it difficult to fit an exact scale figure in those rigs is because you don't have the compression of the seat cushions nor the squish of human flesh in your figures. Without shaving a considerable amount of plastic, your figures will look like they're in rigor mortis.

With RC4WD, the Defender bodies look so right because at that scale -- 1:8.46, a 1.9-inch rim multiplied by 8.46 equals 16.074 -inches... The 1:1 Defenders use 16-inch rims.

Quote Originally Posted by ppcsurfr View Post
    Actually, the Defender and Land Cruiser are oddly scaled. At an average they both need an 8.5-inch figure

Compute this by dividing the 1:1 wheelbase by the RC wheelbase and you get na approximation of what scale the Defender and LandCruiser really use.

The RC4WD Defender 90 and 110 are in 1:8.46 scale while the Land Cruiser is 1:8.3 scale.

The reason you may find it difficult to fit an exact scale figure in those rigs is because you don't have the compression of the seat cushions nor the squish of human flesh in your figures. Without shaving a considerable amount of plastic, your figures will look like they're in rigor mortis.

With RC4WD, the Defender bodies look so right because at that scale -- 1:8.46, a 1.9-inch rim multiplied by 8.46 equals 16.074 -inches... The 1:1 Defenders use 16-inch rims.
    Technically that is true, although the problem with the Defender interior is it's very short... both in the footwells and also the distance from the seat cushion to the roof (as you pointed out).

This is why I suggested getting a head and torso which looks correct through the windows, and modify the legs to suit - I ended up using some Tamiya Wild Willy legs for example, mated to a Jack Osbourne upper body and head:

I'd agree that if you want a more lifelike figure, you'd be better off with one that is on the taller side rather than too short/petite looking, and shorten the legs to suit.

Default Where can I get a scale driver?

You have to remember that when someone says 1:10 scale they mean a category not a size. Most builds fall around the 1:9 scale. Determining scale is not hard to do, just some simple math. Figure out your actual scale and find a driver to match. The best in my opinion would be 7” or larger drivers. These are hard to find, since most are around 6”

Wes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12