sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Danville, Virginia Tank Museum

That's a cool museum.
    It's on my list of places to visit too!
    Everybody wants a flame thrower now!

Well reading back through this thread, I can see that a lot of you all would like to visit the tank museum... Don't do it!

It will impact your RC truck budget... at least it did mine. My middle kid, Miles, asked for an RC tank for Christmas. He's 8 so he's starting to question the logic of a fat jolly old elf flying in a sleigh but he sat on Santa's lap and told him he wanted an RC tank so he could do one of the battles in Danneville.

Long story short, The Tamiya tanks can be pretty expensive. This is a Heng Long 1:16 RTR tank. There are quite a few options but basically, plastic gears, metal gears, steel gears, metal tracks & drive wheels & AM or 2.4 radio. I purchased this at RC Dynasty in Canada for $140 US$ shipped. It's the most basic with the exception of an upgrade to metal gear box. It has an AM radio, has all the functions of the Tamiya except for LED light flashes from the machine gun.

It comes just molded in flat green & looks surprisingly good and has a lot of pieces to attach & an unpainted driver and decals. We chose to paint the whole thing and weather it.

To battle at Daneville, We'll have to invest in an inferred battle system (out of the box it shoots air soft BBs).

www.wolfcreekrcpark.com

We went back to Danville... This time with a tank. The gear box that comes with the Heng Long tanks is cheap junk. They come with plastic, metal or steel gears and I upgraded to metal but the box housing the gears seemed to be the weak link and once it gets torqued, the gears don't mesh and it's not rebuildable... so I got an "ultimate gearbox II", Thick aluminum housing, steel gears, brass bushings... it arrived the day we left... fortunately, the cheap hotel we stayed in had a soldering station in the bathroom.

We did have some security issues at the door.

But once we got that straightened out, it was battle time.

We also took the opportunity to visit VIR, Virginia International Raceway. It's only about 20 minutes from the Tank Museum and completed the weekend nicely

and they had real race cars!

www.wolfcreekrcpark.com

Back to Danville this past weekend for the Oak tree Grand Prix. This was a motorsports Lalapolooza weekend. Porsche GT3 cup racing, Maserati Trofeo, Lamborghini Trofeo, Continental Tire sports car challenge, GT Lemans and GT Daytona. Wonderful weekend of GT racing in Virginia at VIR, Virginia International Raceway.

www.wolfcreekrcpark.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12