sbg  

GearHead
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DougJ's Trusty Rusty TF2

I am also excited about melting snow. You live nearby me DougJ, and it's been a long time since we've seen the ground...

I've forgotten to keep this photo gallery up to date! I keep a full thread of this truck on Scale4x4 but I always forget to copy the posts over to this one. Here's some shots from the beginning of summer:

I spent this past weekend bobbing the bed, complete with primed-over booger welds.

I only took out 3/4 of an inch and I think it looks pretty good. Bobbed beds can look really weird if you take out too much. It's a bit more nimble now, and definitely lighter since I removed the roll bar and rear bumper.
    Fun stuff

I had to redo the bed seam with stronger plastic weld, and I added a rear tube bumper to keep the corners protected since they've cracked twice without any armor. It's a little chunky but I don't think it looks too bad, it matches the rest of the tube stuff on the truck.

Nice!

Thanks!

It's time for an new chapter in the life of this truck. The rust has been building up, and where I live that becomes a death sentence when winter comes round. In keeping this truck's life story as realistic as possible I decided to do some 'rust repair,' which has been going on over the past few weeks.

I started by cleaning up the areas that had deep scratches on the driver's side.

Then I did some of the other side, and a little on the roof.

I liked the idea of having primer spots all over where rust used to be, but the grey primer wasn't as visually different from the dull silver paint as I thought it would be. I still wanted to address the rust issue though so I made the executive decision to go 100% with it and do a full repaint. The new paint job is a work in progress, so stay tuned for the finished product. For those of you that liked the rust, don't worry, it will be back as soon as I start scratching it up.

It's either repaint or park it out back and let the grass grow tall around it.
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

I certainly won't be parking this thing any time soon. Repaint it is!

Speaking of which...
    The respray is complete! I'm really pleased. I chose tan as a little tribute to chino63's original Bruiser build.

Raised tailgate logo! These are painted-over RC4WD letters.

I took this opportunity to switch to the Tamiya grille as well. Looks a bit meaner now.

Here's photos from its inaugural trail run with the new paint. I really need to add a new section to my trail because I'm running out of spots to photograph.

I like it! I miss the rust already, but it will return as soon as the scratches start to show.

Great truck. Driving+time=rust.

Sent from some magic thingy

Thanks! I'm going to take it easy with the rust this time, but it's definitely been getting plenty of trail time. Here's some photos from the beginning of fall. I really need to rake my trail!

Mmmm Looks great!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast