sbg  

AE Element
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resistance Soldering

Default Resistance Soldering

Had to order an affordable Resistance Soldering unit to complete the more serious RC builds and especially the tiny upcoming models and dioramas. I've got ZERO patience for stuff melting off when I'm melting on others.
    I chose this one from MicroMark and added it to the cart for my most recent order. Seems like a reasonable value for $199 and so far MicroMark's been great wheneverI have a product issue.

Wondering if any of you use one (or similar) for this or other hobbies?
    Thought I'd share the video for those who go "whatthashitisresistancesoldering?"

I'll post up a few other videos that I found on the subject....

On a much larger scale but clean application

That's an interesting tool, I have spent more than 20 years soldering stuff together (including automotive battery cables) for a living and have never come across this technique before .

Thanks for sharing, I can for see a new tool appearing in my workshop in the not to distant future.

Well it just goes to show....you learn something new every day!! That's brilliant! Looks like a great alternative especially for brass.

Kev, I used to use one of these units every day about 20 years ago. This is surely the most accurate bench soldering method available, and it tends to do a much better job on wiring than any of the stick soldering methods, or flame. There's so much control available with the switched methods like this. Amazing. You're going to love this! I should source out another one myself!

Yeah I'm pretty excited to try it out. I've built some complex brass stuff before without and know the rage creeps up pretty quick when you've got 10 nice pieces of brass in a puddle. I was tempted to go with one of the higher end units but will wait to see how well this works and upgrade later if I really like it.

Please do send in an update.. and looking forward to your projects with this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jowett View Post
    "whatthashitisresistancesoldering?"

Honestly that's the first thing that went through my mind !

Certainly an interesting Tool, the amount of local heat surely is something. Till now when I soldered brass together I used an big soldering iron (40w) and you to wait till the solder melted. Occasionally other weld let loose again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast