sbg  

AE Element 2

Thread: Vintage Futaba Radio with upgraded electrics

Default Vintage Futaba Radio with upgraded electrics

Well,

again a project I have not yet finished but which is in the final phase - since one year....

Looking like an original Radio:

But pimped a bid:

I like the vintage RC cars and I thought if I revive an old car I want to run and not ruin it using an old period radio catching wrong signals.

What I thought was why not trying massive surgery and replacing all components of the old Futaba vinyl covered vintage radio with some Spektrum DSX6i ingredients?

And while I am dismantling all of that, why not adding a backlight to the display?

Most difficult proved the mounting of the sticks, as the spektrum offers more room to the side of the sticks. This required to rotate the stick bodies by 90 degrees (turnign the poty assortment inside and underneath the stick, instead of sitting outside of the stick).

Logically, I had to compensate the signal flow so that the stick signal would result in the correct servo movement. This cold be done by changing some pins in the connectors of the poti signal cables. Sounds more complicated than it was - once you have understood the logic behind.

And lots of small things like all trimming nobs to be mounted separately in the original positions, and other switches or dable jacks for the charging.....

I as well use the original antenna and I can use the original volt meter band to indicate the amount of jiuce left in the battery. Really neat.

I will mount the brand logo with a flip or slide mechanic to protect and hide the screen underneath.

Anyways, here some more pics:

Hope you like it....
    Racing is life - anything before or after is just waiting!
    (Steve McQueen)

That's pretty cool sir. A very interesting project.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM