sbg  

RPP UMG

Thread: The correct wheel and tire combo makes all the difference

Default The correct wheel and tire combo makes all the difference

Hello again,

this post might seem to be a little off the theme here - but hopefully just by the first glance...

I like the Porsche 934 - in fact I have several cars from the first series from Tamiya (in parts) and I plan to refurbish them over the next years....

To bridge the gap in my shelves I bought this RTR Jägermeister version and added some minor mods to the chassis.

As I am never satisfied with an out of the box car, I added alloy dampers, alloy steering components, better drive shafts etc..etc...
    Engine got swapped for a brushless set, and then I had to do something about the wheels, tires and stance.

If we look at the car out of the box then I tend to say: shame on you Tamiya. With your experience and modelling skills I wonder who signed off on the rim design, vehicle ride height, wheel arches and tire size?
    The follwing two pics hopefully demonstrate what I mean (I have to add the shutlines as well...)

Original:

After modifications:

Modifications:
    - Increased toe in of all 4 wheels
    - Reduced ride height by limiting the damper rebound with internal rubber inserts
    - Pretension springs to reduce maximum deflection on bumps (accommodate for lower ride height)
    - Use lower viscosity oil in dampers to smooth suspension movement (avoids hopping)
    - Replaced kit rims with Kawada M-chassis size rims (imported from Japan)
    - Manufactured adapters to accommodate standard 12mm hex rims with smaller hex of GB-01 chassis axle ends
    - Increased offset with shims on all 4 wheels
    - Mount tires with larger sidewall (front: Kawada M-chassis, rear: Tamyia 58002 Porsche 935 front wheels)
    - Dremel off the wheel arches to more scale look

THat is it as far as I can remember. Look nicer doesn't it?

Nicely done, as I'm contemplating my first street/road car the posts are appreciated.
    Scott

I prefer that old body design, instead of the newer generations

Looks really nice with new wheel.