sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working on a new servo controller to give you more from your two position channel

Lightbulb Working on a new servo controller to give you more from your two position channel

I have been working on a "servo positioner project". I think the software part is almost finished.

...But first, what is the problem that I am trying to solve?
    Here's just on example - you can probably think of others...
    So let's say you have a drive shaft type dig set up on your rig that can have three modes:
    1. 4 wheel drive
    2. Front wheel drive with the rear wheels free
    3. Front wheel drive with the rear wheels locked.

With a modern transmitter with a three position channel that has trim, left end point and right end point, this is a fairly easy setup.

If what you have to work with is a two position channel transmitter, you have to make some compromises. You probably only have 4 wheel drive and one of the other modes, plus, you likely don't have end points so you have to be super careful with your linkage so that you don't overwork your servo by having it push to hard against any mechanical limits.

My project will let you get three easily adjustable servo positions from your two position channel.

This is what it will look like:
    (Sorry, no pictures yet as it is still in the prototype stage - have to use your imagination for now)
    There is a servo plug that goes to a two position channel on a receiver. There is a servo signal output where you would plug in a servo. In between these cables would be the circuit which would have three pots and each pot would have a LED beside it.

Each time the control on the two position channel is pushed and released, it selects the next of three pots as indicated by the lit LED. That pot sets the position of the servo connected to the output cable.

I will do my best to keep the price low.

I'd appreciate any comments or questions you might have on this.

Thanks!
    Al
    :biggthumpup:HeyOK Performance RC Electronics

A possible fix for these darn 2spd transmission servos that keep blowing because of improper end points and settings?

Quote Originally Posted by UNGLEWD View Post
    A possible fix for these darn 2spd transmission servos that keep blowing because of improper end points and settings?
    I think so! Having three positions would make it a little weird though. Maybe on request, I could make a two position version.
    Seems funny though: Two Position to Two Position converter - of course, the two end points could be set, so that is the benefit.

It's the absolute endpoint that I was thinking of... more of a possible solution for those still planning on using a servo.

Makes sense!

Great idea.. for the 3 positions and pots, as well as a 2position endpoint locker! I like!
    I bet this could be used for rear steer in a pinch also. click one is left, click 2 is centered, click 3 is right, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by generis View Post
    Great idea.. for the 3 positions and pots, as well as a 2position endpoint locker! I like!
    I bet this could be used for rear steer in a pinch also. click one is left, click 2 is centered, click 3 is right, etc.
    Glad you like it.
    However, I make a 4WS gizmo or too already:
    4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel

4 Wheel Steering Controller

Could also be used to set and raise and fold semi trailer jacks. The possibilities are endless!

Made a video of the controller!

RC 2 Position to 3 Position controller. - YouTube

Could this be used in a regular proportional channel to drive the servo past 90 degrees? It would seem that you could adjust right and left endpoints so if you need the servo to move 100 degrees to the right and 75 degrees to the left it would do it. I ask because this would come in handy for some of my construction equipment builds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast