sbg  

RPP Associated

Thread: Simple wire holder for soldiering.

Default Simple wire holder for soldiering.

I had to do a bit of soldiering today. I remembered what it was like getting started and trying to get nice tight clean soldier joints. One thing that I found makes it easier for me is a flat washer. Granted the washer I typically use is a fairly large and has it's own base but it's just a washer. I don't twist wires together before soldiering, I use the bypass method ( I'm sure there's a real name for it ) Here is how it works. I tin the wires first (apply soldier uniformly to both wires) then clip one wire to the washer.

Clip the second wire on aligning it with the wire already clamped .
    I the then heat with just the tip moving it across the wires a couple of times. That's it, it make a strong clean soldier joint with out gobs of soldier, which makes it easy to heat shrink with out bulk.

Smart!

Thanks, I'll make myself one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
    Thanks, I'll make myself one!
    Your welcome. It is simple and does work well. Although I did add the base ( I can't seem to resist doing these things) it really works fine with just a washer or washer and vise, clothes pin, piece of wood with a groove or ???. I found it easier than one of those third hand nifty deals with built in magnifying glass. I imagine we all have simple tricks to make things easier we take for granted, seemed like a good thing to share.

This is a pretty good idea, especially for someone like me with only one eye and no depth perception up close. (I burn my fingers lots.) My usual method of soldering is a little hit or miss, as I can't tell when the wires are actually side by side. This cuts down the probability of error. Thumbs up!

Excellent, it's simple and straight forward, hope it works well for you.
    Scott