sbg  

GearHead

Thread: Dremel on the cheap

Default Dremel on the cheap

Hey not sure if anyone has seen these. they are a canadian tire brand and I picked it up for $20. no battery but i kinda find that the rechargable ones never seen to have the grunt that the ones you plug into wall have. also i hate waiting for batts to charge. this one has worked great for about a year and a half. if you need a dremel this is a great buy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	june 7 13 015.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	11468

Just don't buy the jobmate bits. Super crap. Well the sanding wheels are a joke anyhow.

I can carve wood with a dremel wheel until all the grit is gone, they hold together and last a good long time. The jobmate ones rip in half and fly in your face after about a minute of use. I've noticed their other bits are made a bit poorly too.

I'm glad to hear the Jobmate machine itself is pretty good, and agree that plug in power tools are way better than battery, but i'd recommend sticking to Dremel brand bits.
    They seem to be the best still.

definitely spend the extra for dremel bits. they seem to be the best. just for the price you can go through 3 or 4 of these for the price of a dremel.

I ran that one for a long time, works great but like Rick said I used Dremel bits as the Job Mate ones literally BLOW apart!
    Great tool for the buck though.

Quote Originally Posted by Headquake View Post
    Just don't buy the jobmate bits. Super crap. Well the sanding wheels are a joke anyhow.
    I'll second this. Generic dremel style bits that are priced too-good-to-be-true are just that. The Dremel brand bits command a small premium, but they get the job done. Don't compromise here.

Quote Originally Posted by Headquake View Post
    I can carve wood with a dremel wheel until all the grit is gone, they hold together and last a good long time. The jobmate ones rip in half and fly in your face after about a minute of use. I've noticed their other bits are made a bit poorly too.
    Headquake, just a question for you. What style bit do you use for your wood carving?

Quote Originally Posted by Honger View Post
    Headquake, just a question for you. What style bit do you use for your wood carving?
    I mainly use the rubber drum sander bit thats about 15mm diameter, with 60 grit sanding bands on it. These carve into the wood at a nice controllable rate i find. I can usually get through one or two bodys before wanting to replace the 60 grit band. The only other bits i use occasionally are a small ball type steel carver for details, a router type flat bit, the smaller diameter drum sander, and the cutting wheel.

I picked up a cheapie rotary tool at Princess Auto - just another source.

Princess Auto has really good diamond grit cutoff wheels for super cheap. I've got two Dremels and one of them always has these on it. They're very thin and cut plastic, metal, etc very cleanly. They've got a variety of sizes and they tend to be spread through the rotary tool section as well as surplus.

lookie here!