sbg  

GearHead

Thread: Radio/Reciever

Default Radio/Reciever

So far I've been buying a cheapo ($80ish) radio and receiver for each model I do... 2 or 3 channel depending on what I can find. I've got a Futaba, a Hitech, and 2 RC4WD sets. I'd like to optimize.

What radio/recievers do you recommend? I'd like to get one that I can use for multiple models and just buy a receiver for each model. I keep hearing people talk about Spektrum. Is that the gold standard?

People like their Spektrum radios. Headquark has a few and even has telemetry on one. I like my Futaba, but the receivers are $90 each. And I've got 10.

Oh. My. God.

I've spent $900 on receivers.

I really like the 3PM-X radio though. Excellent range, feels good in my hand, enough programming to keep me happy.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

I like my Futaba 4PL (4 channel) which has tons of programming features and 40 model memories. Futabas are more expensive but they're some of the most reliable and long lasting radios. I still have a bunch from the '80s that still work fine.

It does have a few things I don't like:
    -Doesn't have the option for a momentary 3 position switch which is useful for a winch, but I modded it to add one.
    -The throttle trigger travel is 70/30 and I'd prefer 50/50, but I modded it to get close (60/40).
    -You have to send it in for s/w upgrades, but their s/w is solid and upgrades would be for new features only, which they don't usually do.
    -Can't backup the model memory, and if I ever loose my dozen or so programs it'll take me a lot of time to re-create them.

But no radio is perfect so you have to decide what features you want.

I fell in love with my DX5e, not sure if it can be bound with multiple receivers though, however the DX6 can, I was told anyway. It is a much different feel than a pistol grip, but to my surprise it seemed much smoother, now for a piston grip, the Traxxas TQi has a 20 model memory I believe

Just to add something different to the discussion, I am using an inexpensive Flysky FS-gt3b with a couple cars. It is inexpensive and additional receivers are cheap ± $10.00. It works fine but couldn't say it's simple to program, although there is a lot support for it. Most of the complexity comes from having hacked it. But the ability to hack and tinker with it was part of it's appeal for me. Also I am not sure how well it works with go fast cars. I haven't owned or even used any of the big name radios so simply don't have a clear point of reference.

Spektrum dx5c package, got mine for £120 delivered with a srs6000 rx
    Waterproof avc and loads on channels to play with
    The Flysky's once hacked are very good too especially for cost

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk