sbg  

GearHead
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Buckets

Default Light Buckets

Does any one have a decent way of fabricating light buckets for the inside of lexan bodies? I have made some before out of styrene and shaped them to pretty square boxes before shoe-gooing them in place, but I wasn't sure if there was an easier way. Especially in cases where the body is very contoured around the headlights like touring cars etc.

Also, I was seeing if anyone had any good ideas for light buckets that could mount to existing hardware? I.e bumper mounted light buckets. I can't find anywhere that carry any aftermarket single buckets for offroad vehicles (besides the ones you can find in the axial parts tree)

I to would like to know how to make nice ones, to that end I was going through different sections at RC planet the had what looked to be a vacu-formed sheet of buckets, round, square and rectangle. I think it was around 12 or 13 bucks.

not sure about lexan ones but for auxillary light buckets i keep meaning to try these. they sure look nice made from aluminum. just don't like the bar.

http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=334

Agreed plus it would be nice to be able to make them. I hope you get it figured out, so I can barrow the idea!

Default Round ones

Wrencher,
    I know you'd like rectanglular units. If you need round ones, I had made metal lamp bucket for some bird houses ( Why do birds need LED's? I'm not sure, they just do! ) out of US 25 cent coins. The first few I made a half round indentation in a piece of hard wood, then used a ball peen hammer to make it concaved. the next set I bought a Doming block and punch set at Harbor Freight for around $30.00 on sale, I think there near $40.00 regularly. The pre 70's coins were silver, so were easy to work and tended to stay shiny enough.
    If you need pictures let me know, and of course different size coins make different lamps ( who would have thought?. )
    Last edited by sgl; 04-27-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

I would also like to make light buckets... but using silver coins is crazy! they are worth way more than their face value in raw silver value. google silver's value in oz/$ ratio

Quote Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
    I would also like to make light buckets... but using silver coins is crazy! they are worth way more than their face value in raw silver value. google silver's value in oz/$ ratio
    It's just one of those things I guess, the silver coins worked better, were easier to shape, were prettier and the finish was more durable for the intended use. Also I must have got them at a discount, I only paid 25 for them! You must admit they were a great deal! While I didn't use a great number of them still! I also tend to use the all copper 1 coins ( once again a great deal ) as malleable washers with some exotic hard woods. So while it's very interesting, I don't want know how much different metal is worth, I wish to remain ignorant and happy.
    By the way being crazy isn't always a bad thing!
    Thanks for the thought anyway.
    Last edited by sgl; 04-27-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: spelling and sentence structure

I always end up with poly bodies without lightbuckets and still haven't found a good/easy solution. Foil tape is usually my default.

as far as easy on lexan, first I use the supplied sticker for the light, then I use clear 5mm led lenses drilled and mounted in the center of the sticker. then I coat the back of the light housing with flat black so it does not back-light into the body.i tack it into place with hot glue, then shoe goo for a permanent mounting

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...mount-red/301/

Lego can often be modified to make some unique light buckets. I've used it many times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast