sbg  

AE Element

Thread: Clamping your work

Default Clamping your work

One of the biggest challenges I face is when I am cutting some aluminum or other material is getting the stuff to stay still!

I have a hard time finding ways to put a C clamp on it or hold it in a vice and still be able to get close enough to it with a saw.

I picked up a few "200lb T-Handle Vertical Toggle Clamps" and tried out a couple of them last night. Sure made things easier!

I screwed two of these things to a piece of plywood and clamped that into my workmate. Then I clamped the aluminum down with these toggle clamps. They held as tight as I ever could have wanted them to and I could get the saw up nice and close!

Give these things a try. They were about $7 each from Summit Tools. Lee Valley had something similar too.

The metal I show clamped is just some scrap I had laying around to show you how it works.

Last edited by HeyOK; 06-18-2008 at 07:58 AM.

ecoli Guest

Excellent! I'm in the exact same position as you (finding getting around c-clamps is a pain). This looks like the perfect solution. Hopefully HD or Can Tire has something similar.