sbg  

GearHead
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Make a linear ram using a servo

So did you ever end up building a micro controller with switches on the ends. I'm in the middle of this build and need suggestions on how to control the continuous rotation servos endpoint. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rdmn74 View Post
    So did you ever end up building a micro controller with switches on the ends. I'm in the middle of this build and need suggestions on how to control the continuous rotation servos endpoint. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
    I never did, but still could. A cool way to do it without a micro controller would be to somehow couple the servo's pot to the actuator.

If you want me to come up with a micro controller solution, send me a PM and we will see what we can work out.

Al
    :biggthumpup:HeyOK Performance RC Electronics

I like the idea of a slide pot, would that work? I've never wired one, would it wire up to the servo board in place of the original pot? but placed in the boom somewhere? I'm sure I could adapt it to the actuator with some thinking. I've been on the robot forums and was directed to the micro controllers with two switches per servo, but I have no idea how to wire and program those controllers. I would love to know how to build the controllers if that would be a better and easier option.

There is a pretty large learning curve to use a micro controller. At least it was for me

To use a slide pot, just couple it somehow to the motion that you want to control and if possible, make sure that the motion is able to use most of the slide pot's range of movement. It just would get connected in place of the servo's existing position sensing pot. There is a pretty good chance that the servo will want to "hunt" unless you have really firm linkage without any slop. Probably the best way to go would be with the limit switches.
    :biggthumpup:HeyOK Performance RC Electronics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12