sbg  

AE Element

Thread: Styrene FAQ

Thisity Guest

Default Styrene FAQ

Hi guys, I was reading about Headquakes plastic episode cough cough and found this web site on what it is, health risks and so forth. http://www.styrene.org/faq.html

Nathan

When I read these I'm always wondering who released the information and who it's approved by. Although this seems fairly harmless based on this FAQ, in my world smelling melting plastic isn't good. It's kind of comforting to read this but I'm always a little skeptical
    Probably a larger worry than the styrene is the solvent/cements we use to weld it together
    Last edited by UNGLEWD; 01-12-2012 at 07:46 PM.

I always wonder too so I tend to stay on the safe side.

What the Occupational Safety and Health Administration has to say about Styrene

Sean

beaster Guest

lol im a plastic fabricator/thermoformer use this crap all the time its just like anything else we use ie paint mdf any cleaning solivients. Different glue vapours rise and otheres will sink cuz its heavier than air . just b safe and smart always do in a well ventilated area the more protection the better. I work with people that have been the plastic fab biz over 30yrs and they are doing just fine, there is a 72yr old gentalmen that is 1 of the best fabricators we gots and he doesnt skip a beat ever he is also very healthy . JUST BE SMART ABOUT IT! and i hope the people that are really worried arnt smokers cuz well thats way worse. We really dont hear about plastic vapours or glue vapours killing millions of people. its really kewl to see people creating with these plastics and the outcomes they are achiving just wouldnt want to see these worries put a dampner on peoples creativity when it comes to building with plastics.

Rubiconmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by beaster View Post
    lol im a plastic fabricator/thermoformer use this crap all the time its just like anything else we use ie paint mdf any cleaning solivients. Different glue vapours rise and otheres will sink cuz its heavier than air . just b safe and smart always do in a well ventilated area the more protection the better. I work with people that have been the plastic fab biz over 30yrs and they are doing just fine, there is a 72yr old gentalmen that is 1 of the best fabricators we gots and he doesnt skip a beat ever he is also very healthy . JUST BE SMART ABOUT IT! and i hope the people that are really worried arnt smokers cuz well thats way worse. We really dont hear about plastic vapours or glue vapours killing millions of people. its really kewl to see people creating with these plastics and the outcomes they are achiving just wouldnt want to see these worries put a dampner on peoples creativity when it comes to building with plastics.
    What shop are you at. I hang at RS pastic Richmond.

beaster Guest

plastics shop in poco

Thisity Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UNGLEWD View Post
    When I read these I'm always wondering who released the information and who it's approved by. Although this seems fairly harmless based on this FAQ, in my world smelling melting plastic isn't good. It's kind of comforting to read this but I'm always a little skeptical
    Probably a larger worry than the styrene is the solvent/cements we use to weld it together
    I agree completely. just thought i'd hang it out there.

Nathan