sbg  

GearHead

Thread: Basic common sense safety gear

Shryke Guest

Default Basic common sense safety gear

I'm sure all of you already know what I'm going to say but we should all be reminded once in a while, especially those who have been working in a shop environment for a long time and may have become complacent or fallen in to bad habits.

When cutting, grinding and drilling, let's make sure we're always wearing a pair of safety glasses. I don't mean your prescription lenses, they do not offer adequate protection and are costly to replace if they get damaged. This is a good idea even if you don't think the material will cause damage, trimming a body with an Exacto knife might seem safe enough, but remember, if that blade breaks you might end up quite blind!

A pair of shop gloves goes a long way to keeping your hands safe and sound and they offer pretty decent manual dexterity.

Soldering irons are hot! Keep the kids and pets away and don't leave them sitting there alone "for just a second while I go for a pee" or you may come back to a nasty surprise.

Use your tools for the purpose they are intended. Drills are not saws and screwdrivers are not pry bars. Don't laugh, watch an episode of "Canada's Worst Handyman" you'll see what I mean.

Workshops should be equipped with a first aid kit, you have all these tools in there for fixing your RC stuff, get some in there for fixing yourself if the need should arise. That said, having the first aid kit is not enough, familiarize yourself with what items are in it and how to use those items correctly so you don't have to figure it out while in a bad situation. Make sure to check on the supplies in the kit regularly, especially if there are things with expiry dates.

Be sober while doing any and all of the above mentioned activities. Not only will you lose coordination if intoxicated, alcohol thins your blood so if you cut yourself, expect to bleed more if it's in your system.

Like I said before, I'm sure you folks are familiar with these very basic shop principles but I also know that at least half the people reading this (myself included) have grabbed the drill and started in without grabbing a pair of safety glasses. Just because you never lost and eye/finger/head before, doesn't mean it won't happen this time.

Good common sense safety tips.

I now wear my safety glasses when cutting with an X-acto, not only to protect against broken blades, but to protect against the knife itself. In an unusual series of events I saw my knife about to fall off my desk (it would've landed on my bare foot) so I went to stop it. It flung into the air and the pointy side stuck me in the face 1mm from my eye. Needless to say, I also wear shoes while working on RCs now.

Oh yeah, and always wear an appropriate dusk mask while sanding paint, wood and plastic.

All good advice. I used to rely on my prescription glasses but since my vision-correcting procedure I've been a bad boy. I'm gonna invest in some nice safety-glasses. Thanks for the reminder, Shryke!