sbg  

AE Element
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Weld - Working with Modeling Plastics

Quote Originally Posted by matty85 View Post
    I had a hard time with this too until I figured out how to best set it. Are you brushing it on and then placing the piece? If so try setting the 2 pieces first and then brushing it on in the cracks. It will make its way in and weld them together more efficiently.
    Thanks for the reply Matty.

I actually just put together another test piece to see if it'll hold using the method you mentioned.

But yes, I was applying the Plastruct and then sandwiching the two pieces together.

I read a few threads on other forums about scratch building and they were using the set then apply method.

I hope this method works as I'm in a holding pattern now trying to get the proper method down.

Quote Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
    Thanks for the reply Matty.

I actually just put together another test piece to see if it'll hold using the method you mentioned.

But yes, I was applying the Plastruct and then sandwiching the two pieces together.

I read a few threads on other forums about scratch building and they were using the set then apply method.

I hope this method works as I'm in a holding pattern now trying to get the proper method down.
    I hope it works for you too! I also found out if you lightly sand the flat piece it works a little better as well.

Plastruct isn't as strong as some others. I use "Same Stuff" from Micromart. Tenax 7R is pretty good as well. Always use the capillary technique for the strongest bond.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Or if you like noxious fumes and big value try MEK substitute.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Thanks for the replies fellas!

I looked at the MEK Substitute the other day and I wasn't sure it would work.

I ordered some Tenax 7R, but I might run out for some of the MEK as I'm in a holding pattern.

The capillary technique worked better but it's not as strong as I thought it would be.

The Tamiya glue with the green lid works really well. It comes with a brush in the cap, but I like using the cheap little pipettes for application.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Plastruct isn't as strong as some others. I use "Same Stuff" from Micromart. Tenax 7R is pretty good as well. Always use the capillary technique for the strongest bond.
    Just answered my question was going to ask about tenax

To update my progress and experiences, I've found that a well ventilated area and MEK substitute creates the best bond. You do need to be careful and use it sparingly. A little goes a long way with MEK

FYI, MEK is about the only thing that will give a solid bond with RC4WD's ABS type bodies. It melts it good.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

And tastes great in a smoothie!

DON'T DRINK IT.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast