sbg  

AE Element
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Weld - Working with Modeling Plastics

Default Plastic Weld - Working with Modeling Plastics

Many requests and questions come in about modeling with Styrene Plastic
    The following is part of a series of Plastic Modeling tips and tutorials that JKRC will be putting together for the SBG and RCCA

As always read all the instructions....KJ doesn't want to be responsible for solvents in poorly ventilated areas

To get started with what some mistake for "glue"
    Getting two pieces of Styrene, ABS or Butyrate to permanently bond is more than just gluing them together. Products like these Plastic Weld Solvent Cements actually melt the surfaces of the two parts, allowing them to be welded together. This, if done properly should give you a bond that is as strong/or stronger than the surrounding material. This strength is very important when moving from traditional modeling to the working model...Scale RCs take quite a bit of punishment.

The following two products are good examples of Plastic Weld Solvent Cements

Plastruct Brand Plastic Weld
    I have used Plastruct Brand Plastic Weld for many years with great success.
    The leading general purpose solvent cement for fast, permanent bonding of most dissimilar plastics. Immediately tacky. Sets in minutes. Permanently bonds ABS to Butyrate, ABS to Styrene, ABS to Acrylic and more. Actually dissolves a thin film of the surfaces to be joined, creating a bond as strong as the surrounding areas. Also works as a liquid filler. Full coverage attained by capillary action. Comes with applicator brush in cap.

2 oz (59 ml.) Bottle. CODE: PPC-2
    16 oz (473 ml.) Bottle. CODE: PPC-16

http://www.plastruct.com

Note: I have recently tried the Non-Toxic version (Weldene) and I was a little disapointed with the set up time...several hours to cure isn't worth a lemony smell...way to slow for my liking. Some items were still not completely set in 12 hrs!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We were in picking up supplies and was grabbing the usual stuff above, they suggested a possible alternative brand. I'm going to be testing this over the next while, I'm hoping that it is as good as the other brands. Priced slightly cheaper, made in Ontario Canada so availability may be better as getting chemicals cross border is more and more difficult all the time.

FLEX-I_FILE Plast-I-Weld
    The seem to have a much cleaner application...TOUCH AND FLOW SYSTEM. Unfortunately I only grabbed the replacement bottle and not the entire set. I will grab the balance of the kit and let you guys know what I think.

TOUCH-N-FLOW SYSTEM Touch-n-Flow System is a 3-piece set including the popular Touch-n-Flow applicator, applicator squeeze bottle and Plast-i-Weld liquid solvent cement. Use of the squeeze bottle makes a convenient way to fill and empty the Touch-N Flow applicator.
    #7000 Touch-n-Flow System $16.79

For more info you can visit their site.
    http://www.flex-i-file.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will be adding to these how too threads as we learn more.
    If there's any info you think would be helpful, please feel free to reply and we will add your info.
    Last edited by UNGLEWD; 04-25-2011 at 01:23 PM.

This is info most of us in the rc world could use for sure!! I've actually been looking for plastruct plasti weld for some time in the lower mainland, but seems harder to find than I first thought. Any ideas on where to find these products, or would we be better off to order online?
    Last edited by UNGLEWD; 03-06-2011 at 01:09 AM.

The only spot I found this recently is at Central Hobbies (Grandview in Vancouver)

Spillproof Guest

deleted
    i learned to read at some point.

This thread is a bit old but thought I would chime in that I found One Stop in Abbotsford had both Plastruct and Flex-i-file cements in stock and the Touch 'n Flow applicator too. I get all my build stuff there.

SO If I read this right, I should be able to use Plastruct for repairing a TF2 body? Is that right? I think that's made out of ABS if I am right.... Thanks for the answer.

It welded mine!

canuckcrawler Guest

Having used the Flex-I-File Plast I Weld, I can vouch that it works excellent. It is by far the best styrene cement that I have used. It bonds very fast, and is permenant. If the joint is well finished (no gaps), its every bit as strong as the surounding styrene.

Hey Kevin,

I'm sure that this is going to come off as a stupid question, but it really has me baffled... trying to use the Plastruct Brand Plastic Weld (it's all my LSH had) to bond Styrene together, and it's not creating a strong bond... at all.

Tire glue is creating a stronger bond, but I know it's not welding the parts together, just gluing them.

Is there something I'm missing?

I've let the test pieces cure overnight, and completed 2 tests of different products that I have in my shop.

Thanks for any input you have.

I had a hard time with this too until I figured out how to best set it. Are you brushing it on and then placing the piece? If so try setting the 2 pieces first and then brushing it on in the cracks. It will make its way in and weld them together more efficiently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast