Thread: How to - making your own links

tripple.111 Guest

you can get it at crapy tire too

Heinz57 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MegaToys View Post
    where did u find the 8-32 allthread????
    Canadian Tire always has it in stock.:givesyawings:

ecoli Guest

Yep, Canadian Tire is where I always get mine.

.-. Guest

i got the reddy rod at canadian tire but looked everywhere for the stainless and had no luck ....well i did but ....i tried lordco -no then deckers auto parts-no then i thought hot rod fuel line so i went to mopac-no the guy there told me of a actual hot rod shop in port kells so i thought ok go there .....i didn't even find it cause i got sidetracked into metal supermarket and BAM hthey had some.....

I talked to a guy by the name of Kris Bollmann and he hooked me up. Got to talkin and he asked me what i was going to use it for so i told him it was for my rc trail truck and he smiled and told me a story of what he built for his e-maxx ....and i thought woohoo he knows what i am up to ....so i will cut the story shorter here....I walked out of there with six feet of stainless for 10$ cash

what a deal came home and the wife wasn't feeling well so i went out to the shop to play around and this what i came up with.

Thanks for the idea and how to

Kris at metal supermarket on 92a and 201 st in port kells says he willl give any of us a great deal for stuff we need from him

AX

Thanks again Ecoli

Tanqueray Guest

Those stainless look nice :)

.-. Guest

yeah they work really good nice and slippery on the rocks

Great how-to! Nice end result too.

jhedsy Guest

Totally building my own. Way cheaper with great outcome!
    Already picked up the allthread and stainless steel tubing. Just wait for the rod ends to come in.

Here is what I used:

2 - 3' lengths of threaded rod - Fastenal about $5/length
    6' - Stainless Tube - Metal Supermarket $10 (you could probably get away with 4')
    2 packs - revo rod ends
    1 - 8-32NC plug (second) tap
    1 - tap handle
    1 - Digital 8" caliper
    1 - dremel or similar
    2 or 3 - cutoff wheels for above
    2 sheets - Norton 9x11x80G Durite screen back (I used this to "file fit" the lengths of tube for each link)
    1 - 6x9 Norton Beartex medium hand pad (to get a brushed finish. same as a Scotchbrite red pad)

Just finished mine up and I gotta say I'm very happy I made my own instead of buying a finished set. I still need some hardware to attach the rod ends to the 4-link truss, but I can't wait to take my Dingo out for a test drive to see how it performs.

I finished the tubing with a Norton Beartex hand pad to get the brushed look. I was going to polish them, but figured the maintenance would be easier this way... when they get scratches I'll just hit them with a hand pad again and they'll be as good as new.

Anyone who want to save a couple of buck and get their hands dirty, it is a worthwhile project. Hey, this is the first RC mod I've attempted and I pulled it off.

Thanks Rick for your help on this. Once I relocate my servo, I'll be copying your steering setup.

ChevyLuv Guest

awesoem tutorial works great and i couldnt beleive how quick and easy it was two front links made and instaled in 10 minutes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast