sbg  

GearHead
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to - making your own links

ecoli Guest

Default How to - making your own links

I've seen it asked numerous times on here how to make your own links or even paying someone else to make links for them. This is an extremely easy and rewarding thing to do and once you've done it, you'll no longer have to worry about wheelbases of that new body you're interested in, just make your links to fit

So, the supplies you'll need are Revo rod ends, 8-32 allthread, 1/4" brakeline or stainless steel tubing, needle nose pliers, and an 8-32 tap and handle (drill bit isn't necessary). You'll also want a dremel with cutoff bit (or similar) for cutting the allthread and tubing to length.

Get the bulk pack of Revo rod ends. You'll need 2 packs for a complete set of lower and upper links. These are very beefy. I've never broken one. I did pull the allthread out of one when I went cliff diving with my Jeep, but that was a little extreme!

8-32 allthread is very strong and cheap. The only local reliable source I've found for it is at Canadian Tire.

The first thing to do is to hold your rod end (without the ball joint in it, this was just one I did previously for demo purposes), align your tap and thread it all the way to the end. The hole in the Revo rod ends is the perfect size for an 8-32 tap, no drilling necessary. You don't need a super expensive tap either, since it's just cutting into plastic. After tapping, I like to blow out all the crud and then run the tap through a second time just to make sure.

If you haven't done so already, use your needle nose pliers to put the ball joints in the rod end. Some people run the rod ends under warm water, but I don't find it necessary. The trick is to get the ball joint centered, then pop it into the hole with a sideways pinching motion with the pliers. Hard to describe, but once you do it, you'll see how easy it is

Then simply thread in your allthread. It threads into Revo rod ends about 1/2". Obviously you'll need to do some measuring and cutting here. I like to file the ends of the cut allthread to ensure there's no sharp edges to slice up your rodend.

Also shown is a Jato rodend. Slightly longer than the Revo rod end, but otherwise the same.

Finally, use some 1/4" brakeline or, my preference, 1/4" stainless steel tubing to sleeve the links. I don't do this until I'm satisfied with all the link lengths. Stainless is much much better for lower links, as it slides easily, doesn't bend easily, and doesn't rust. Aluminum should be used for uppers only, as it gouges easily meaning it won't slide on the rocks.

And that's it. Really that simple, and opens a whole world of possibilities.

Another option for links is using Maxx rodends and 6-32 allthread. Same procedure, but the links aren't going to be as strong. It is a little cheaper if you're really on a tight budget though. I do use these sometimes for steering links where the strength overkill of Revo and 8-32 aren't needed.

lance banner Guest

looks good. we have done something like that and it works great. i make all my steering links like that.

.-. Guest

going to make some of these up for my FJ i think .... i think the slippery stainless is the way to go

MegaToys Guest

DUDE !!!!!! awesome !

Hillbillycrawler Guest

This is cool.I use 1/4 solid aluminum rod with a 3m x .50 tap to make my links and it works great to.It's like $6 for six foot of rod.

Heinz57 Guest

been all over red deer looking for stainless tubing,(was told they don't make stainless brake lines)...lol....:givesyawings:can't find it anywhere...any ideas?

Hillbillycrawler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz57 View Post
    been all over red deer looking for stainless tubing,(was told they don't make stainless brake lines)...lol....:givesyawings:can't find it anywhere...any ideas?
    Summit.com or other custom car/hot rod type parts place

ecoli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz57 View Post
    I got mine from a guy in the US a while back. Only local'ish source is Metal Supermarkets in Edmonton. They want a fortune for the stuff though.

Hobby shops carry short lengths of stainless tubing. Otherwise, go with 1/4" steel brakeline. Not quite as nice, but it works just fine

MegaToys Guest

where did u find the 8-32 allthread????

Quote Originally Posted by MegaToys View Post
    where did u find the 8-32 allthread????
    Pacific Fasteners
    They are on 1st Ave near Boundary in Burnaby. Lots of great stuff. They mostly deal in stainless.
    :biggthumpup:HeyOK Performance RC Electronics

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast