sbg  

AE Element

Thread: Best Gear Lube

Default Best Gear Lube

For many years I've been using Tamiya's white lithium grease. Because I was always doing so many kits I always had some handy from leftovers but my supplies are running lean.

I would like to know what the best RC gear lube is.
    What are you guys using?
    Where do you pick it up?
    Results...water resistance, gear wear, low resistance....

Thanks for any help you can give

true-scalecrawler Guest

for bearings i use "Nitro lube" its a penetrating performance lube

and for the gear mesh i use Pennzoil red(high temp) wheelbearing grease.......ive never had to replace a bearing or a gear set....EVER....only ever upgraded to an all metal setup in one of my transmissions.....just cuz i wanted to....

or if you wanna keep with the lithium grease...... i can get you a large tube of white lithium grease.....probably last ya a good while

I use a pinpoint oiler full of light oil for bearings and like True said a squeeze tube of good ol automotive wheel bearing grease for gears but I just use the cheap Canadian tire blue stuff.
    Scale Innovator

2.0GT Guest

Bullshot.
    its thick, red and waterproof. bike bearing grease. i have a tub of the stuff that i use on pretty much every bearing on my bike, and RC.

i dont think its for sale anymore, bit when my supply runs out, i'll be back to the bike shop to get the next best stuff!
    Last edited by 2.0GT; 12-17-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: .

i use HS2000 its made from Wurth. not cheap, but sticks to gears, and waterproof. also use it in all my paintball guns.

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/..._HHS_2000.html
    IF IT DOESNT MELT ITS NOT FAST ENOUGH!!:D

ForkliftJeff Guest

x2 on the HHS 2000. I use it at work and on all my hobby stuff. Once that lube is on... it's on. Only brake kleen will take it off.

Tanqueray Guest

I'm far from being an expert on lubes (this thread can turn ugly fast evil ) but for lithium grease i use a can of spray stuff i picked up at Canadian tire, can't remember the brand. For bearings i use a bearing cleaning oils they sell at local hobby shops, the stuff does wonders when you spend a few minutes on each bearing.

I'm actually surprised that you use hobby grade lithium grease considering the amounts of builds you do.

madhatter Guest

I fill the diffs/trans with lucas posi gear oil and go.

It will leak out over time, but once everything is coated, it's good to go.:nod:

Thanks for all the response guys, this is great!

sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead but I'm putting this gearbox on my JK and don't know what lube to use. The plastic looks like the one on Tamiya's and have an idea that some greases can attack it

https://www.asiatees.com/article?Kin...ar-Box&id=3159