sbg  

RPP Associated
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing the Newbright Windshield Lettering

jamaal84 Guest

I know it sounds stuped but try mayo ,

Tanqueray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ForkliftJeff View Post
    I don't have one of these windshields to look at up close, but being a bit of an auto detailing aficionado, I'd try some acetone. (Your wifes fingernail polish remover should work they are usually acetone base or something similar.) BUT USE CAUTION!! Just wipe it once and let it dry, wipe it once and let it dry. If you wipe to many times the plastic will get soft and smear. You'll notice right away if it's going to work, don't over do it. You'll probably need to give it a quick polish or wax if it starts to fog. Boat wax is the best because it's made for acrylics, gelcoats, fiberglass and plastics.

The mechanic side of me believes the brake fluid could also work. DOT 3 or 4, not 5.

Hope this helps.
    oooh god, be careful with acetone, just put a dot of it on the letters before dabbing it all over!! my wife got a drop on a wooden coffee table and it screwed up the varnish on the table by the time we ran to kitchen to get a paper towel to clean it. I'd be very afraid of using it on a rc windshield

I'd try soaking it in dot3 brake fluid before acetone, would probably rub right off using a rag and your thumbnail.

can't just scratch it off using your thumbnail without any chemicals?

Tanqueray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamaal84 View Post
    I know it sounds stuped but try mayo ,
    i'll never eat mayo again if that works

ForkliftJeff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tanqueray View Post
    oooh god, be careful with acetone, just put a dot of it on the letters before dabbing it all over!! my wife got a drop on a wooden coffee table and it screwed up the varnish on the table by the time we ran to kitchen to get a paper towel to clean it. I'd be very afraid of using it on a rc windshield
    Don't pour the acetone directly on the windshield. Just put a tiny bit on a rag and give it a wipe and then the most important part is letting it dry (a few seconds) before wiping again. I have done this lots on full size stuff.

the liquid styrene cement in a glass bottle works very well, used on the same rag trick as Jeff. Quick wipe, done. I think it's technically trichloroethane.

I used nail polish remover and it took the white away quite well, but there is still a faint (ghost) image of the lettering.
    Did the liquid glue remove all of it?

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12