sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tamiya TL01?

Tanqueray Guest

Default tamiya TL01?

I just picked one of these up to try to make a rally car. Bear with me here, it's the first time i get a sedan aside from one a cyclone 2 years ago that i crashed within 5 minutes, broke the chassis and sold as soon as i got the new chassis for it.

anyways, back to the tamiya, read they made decent rally cars. seriously, wtf, everything is 1 piece on this tub. I was thinking i could tinker away at it and maybe make something coolish out of it, but the diffs and suspension are pretty much all part of the chassis.

motor plate only has 3 settings for gears, i gotta dremel it out if i don't want to buy a pinion gear cause the 3 settings for pinions are sizes i don't have :p6639707:

the suspension... not even oil filled shocks, and not adjustable in any way. So only thing can do is buy some longer shocks...

Am i missing something here? any suggestions on anything i can do to make this thing rally friendly? I don't plan on racing, i just want to bash it around and make it scalish, at this point it may just end up on a trailer behind the trucks...

Am i better off selling it to get a different platform or should i try to make something with this?

here she sits with 1.9's on, i didnt know sedans were 1.9 capable :)

i'm debating these 2 bodies for it:

If i go with this it will get 1.9's probably

I'm sorry that you read Tamiya makes good rally cars. Anything I've seen looks like a joke. I think that people who are Tamiya fans don't even realize that they're loyal to a toy company. Almost any hobby-grade touring-car on the market will make a better rally-car when modified. Your Cyclone would have been perfect.

All touring -cars run 1.9.

Tanqueray Guest

Ya I'm starting to think they may be fan boys, kinda like mac owners

Although many of Tamiya full on kits are technically working models there's allot of great products providing you know where to alter them and what to use/avoid. I use their components at least somewhere in almost all my builds.
    Unfortunately the TL01 is not a great kit unless you want to use it to mount a body to and move around for fun.
    Their closest thing to a rally car is the DF03 and works good for fun. To make it competitive, like most Tamiya models, you need to start suspension and drivetrain mods (usually replacing shocks and installing CVDs)
    The DF03 has nice suspension travel mainly due to the fact it's based on their original DF Buggy.

Like Al said modifying a touring car is a good solution, especially if you already own one.
    Last edited by UNGLEWD; 11-29-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Tanqueray Guest

I'll just find something else to build upon, to make this thing decent would be more expensive then buying a better platform. I think i can probably scavenge more parts off of a toy rc then this thing!

Like Kevin said; there's a time and place for everything. And yes, definitely in you best interest to find a car based off a buggy platform.

Tanqueray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Like Kevin said; there's a time and place for everything. And yes, definitely in you best interest to find a car based off a buggy platform.
    off of buggy platform or sedan?

Big Rob Guest

Default Tamiyas Rule

On the east coast the Beer of choice is Alexander Keiths and their slogan is , Those who like it like it alot!
    Tamiya cars , trucks and buggies are a lot like "Keiths beer"
    I have over 24 in my collection , just like a case of beer! LOL!
    But seriously they might not make the most race ready products , but they make up for it in a diverse
    selection of models.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    On the east coast the Beer of choice is Alexander Keiths and their slogan is , Those who like it like it alot!
    Tamiya cars , trucks and buggies are a lot like "Keiths beer"
    I have over 24 in my collection , just like a case of beer! LOL!
    But seriously they might not make the most race ready products , but they make up for it in a diverse
    selection of models.
    Well Said!

Tanqueray Guest

i guess you could call it diversity, they have some good products, but some others are very borderline toy grade.

almost picked up a xxx-s to do the rally project last night, but my wife suggested i do abit more research before "wasting" more money on rc

anyone wanna buy a tl01 dirt cheap lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast