sbg  

AE Element
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kev's new shop/shops.

Default Kev's new shop/shops.

As many already know in less than 2 weeks we're moving back to the North Shore. Real estate is absolutely insane and unless we had 649 (redneck retirement fund) behind us there's now way to get the same setup as we have currently.

One of the stressful parts was finding a spot to set up shop in a condo setting. Well the RC gods must have been looking down on us...

The second bedroom in the condo will be set up as the hobby room and I can take care of all my modeling, assembly and detail work in there....no big deal.

It was the messy stuff I was concerned about.
    It's pretty hard to be doing metal work and painting in a spare bedroom but the new place has it covered...

The new place is in an adult only building that has a large portion of it's owners as retirees.
    About 8 of the guys decided a few thousand square feet in the basement should be hobby workshop.
    So....

We've got a few cabinet makers that decided they'd rather carve boats and wood ducks instead and there's loads of professional grade tools that we (the key holders) share. Man I couldn't believe this.
    When I let them know what I do they got pretty damn exited. The other day when picking up the keys and doing another walk through I found out the head of the president and vice pres are both RC boat guys (tugs and sail boats). This is going to be fun!

I shot a bit of video to show you guys but for now just took a few screens...

This is one of the scratch build boats down there

So this back wall is to be my spot. All my benches will be on casters so I can move things around.

Will be sure to update you guys on both the hobby room and shop as I go!
    Last edited by UNGLEWD; 04-25-2011 at 12:53 PM.

What a brilliant solution. Did you know about this prior to moving in?

I only wish that my condo had something similar going on. All young people, and around 60% renters give or take. None of the owners, like myself are into hobbies at all. Count your lucky stars.

When we were shopping around this was our last stop...after hearing the agent say "and there's a workshop downstairs" my ears perked up. Almost to the point of ignoring the fact we just bought a condo that needs an entire reno! We ended up buying a box with a fireplace in it....but who cares, look at the shop right? evil

Darwin came with me and did the home inspection and I think he thought it was pretty cool.

I think being in a building that's owner occupied only makes a difference. However there's no reason you can't talk to your board to see if one of the lower utility areas in your building could become a community space? They do the same thing with games rooms, party rooms and guest suites right?

you may have just got a whole lotta friends

yup it is one nice space lots of options

Code454 Guest

Wow you really lucked out that is awesome Kev good to know you got a work spot

Hey Kevin

I am glad you where able to still have access to a shop. I look forward to reading about your new creations you will be building down there. I can only guess one what you will be able to accomplish now that you will have your commute time back.

Colin

rainclod Guest

Hey welcome to the north shore unglewd. The land of the newly wed and nearly dead....
    :luxhello:

Man it's so nice to be heading back...anyone who's lived up there knows that it's hard to match locations.
    We have another week or so till we move but I get over the bridge early and just go in and pretend we're there for a half hour or so. I will be adding 5 hrs to my day for other things besides sitting in traffic so you guys will be seeing much more of me on the rocks and online once we get settled in.
    Can't wait to grab a coffee and head to Wytecliff without having to take a vacation!!!

Will get you guys the full tour once i get settled in.

sick. very good idea with a community shop below, and owner access only. Me like!

BC_4RUNNER Guest

Welcome back from the wack Kevin. Where in North Van is it? I look forward to getting out on more trail runs with you knwo that you are closer. And planning some LMRCC/CC stuff.......

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast