sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Headquake's Offroad Park

Was killing time on your youtube channel last night. Came across a video of the track, it looks great and seems to have a nice flow to it.

I dont understand how your cat can just chill out next to the track though. The second mine hear a servo they start running hahaha

Is there an interview process to be allowed to drive on the track? Imthatguy can be my reference. I'm strictly business when it comes to little toy trucks. I comp pretty hard, don't let him tell you otherwise.
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Hello again gang.

Haven't updated this thread in a while but spring has sprung in Ontario and i've been doing some more work on the old rock garden among other things.

I got started on a little cabin for it today. By watching Al's basement grow, and seeing all the scale garages and sheds you guys have been building lately, makes me wanna try one too. I can see this becoming as addictive as making the trucks.

What got me going today was coming across a busted old half rotted wooden crate laying in the scrappy part of the yard. Its been outdoors for years and the wood is really old and grey. The two box sides were still in good shape, and i salvaged as much of the thinner side pieces as i could. I'm not going to build it like you would a real cabin (framing and such), but it'll look good from the outside.

I used the box sides for the sides of the cabin and held them together with four thin "beams" on the corners to attach front and back walls. Got the front wall on with door and window opening before it got dark out. I would bring it inside to work on it more tonight, but the wood is all wet and mouldy. I think i should leave it outside. Kinda gross. Ha.

Its gonna live outside when its done, and I want it to look like an old weathered cabin so i think this wood will work out nice. I'm planning to make some vertical lines down the front to give the illusion of scale boards, and make some framing around the window and door.

Anyhow, here's a pic of where its headed so far.
    More soon.

Very cool and nicely weathered! I can see myself building more scale structures in the future. It's one more thing that helps make our trucks look more realistic. Fun too.
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Well fine, I guess I need to get on my diorama then too...

Nice looking addition to the trails Rick, should make for some good filming!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

koomz Guest

awesome cabin there Rick

Thanks guys.

Here's a few new pics of the rock garden i took today. I moved around some of the rocks and made some new lines like i do every spring to keep it fresh. Ha. Gave it a good sweeping too and cleaned up the winter scraps. A couple of these big stumps you see are moveable. They came from a big fallen tree we cut up and i use them for things around the yard. I put one way up top for a cat lookout. She likes it though wouldn't go up there for a pic when i asked.

More on the little cabin build:

I'm tryna just use this old weathered wood for everything, it looks good but is quite delicate in spots. I dug out an old rotten piece 1/2 inch plywood from down by the shed to use for the triangle roof supports, and a piece of 1/4 inch for the roof. All pretty wet and mouldy. I dig it.

Also made a little trim around the door with some thin bits i cut off an old board. I had to drill small holes before nailing most of this together cause the thin bits are cracky prone.

I thinned down some dark grey acrylic paint really watery and washed it over the roof and door to give them a different tone from the rest. Also put some anywhere there was fresh cut edges on the boards to keep it all even.

More soon.

Oranges (thats her name) is diggin' it too.
    I tried to talk her into getting in the window and looking out of it for a pic, but no go with that request either. Ha.

Last edited by Headquake; 03-15-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Rock garden & cabin look really nice, Good use of the knot holes. Cats do seem to be a universally independent lot

Thanks man, she's a good kid though. Of course she did get in it after i put the camera away. Ha.

Cabin Update:

Lots more done yesterday. I made a stove chimney pipe modeled after the one on my real house. I made the pipe out of a piece of a thickish cardboard tube, painted it black inside to waterproof it, stuck four sticks of styrene around the inside of the end and added a bit of screen. Then made a cone cap with styrene and covered both the cap and pipe with aluminum tape.

Cut a wedge of wood to go onto the roof with a rounded piece screwed into the top for the pipe to go onto.
    Stuck the cap and pipe all together with shoegoo, then weathered it abit with some black and screwed it to the roof from underneath.

As you can see in the last pic, I made the roof look more roofy by cuting V groove lines into the old plywood with a boxcutter. They go in about one ply deep and i painted them in with a dark grey after.

I did the same V cut lines to all the sides of the cabin as well to make it look like more scale appropriate sized boards. Theyre also painted with dark grey after. I made the outer window frame pieces and nailed them into the walls, then cut a piece of plexiglass to fit and glued it in from behind with shoegoo. Then i goo-ed the crosspieces of the frame onto the glass and sides. Made some quick little hinges and a handle for the door, glued and painted as well.

I think its pretty much done. Now to find a good place in the rock garden for it to go. Once i set it up, im gonna cut a little stack of wood to pile up next to it. I'll get more pics of that soon.

I wanna build a few more now.

Gonna look right at home in the garden

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast