sbg  

RPP UMG
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: CA glue

  1. #1
    JessF Guest

    Default CA glue

    Just bought my first tube of hobby type CA to mount up my tires.

    anyone notice this is just crazy glue relabelled? Which means the activator sprays people by are just cans of water with maybe food colouring and perhaps alcohol to make it smell special.
    http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/gpm/gpmgpmr6034.htm

    crazy glue cures in the presence of moisture. The moisture on your skin causes it to stick to your fingers very fast where as gluing the handle on your favorite mug takes forever to set from the lack of moisture in all ceramics. If there isn't moisture on the surface you're gluing, it's gotta pull it from the air, which takes time.

    This also means acetone and other methods of removing crazy glue should work for hobby shop brand CA glue.

    Humid air will cause CA and crazy glue to cure faster, dry air, slower.

    anyways, that's my little tech tip.

    someone may have already said this.

  2. #2
    SlowKrawl Guest

    Default

    When I get inside I will check which brand of CA glue I used on my flux, but it was hardly any more expensive than super glue and worked waaaaay better.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    1,935

    Default

    There is an interesting write up on Wikipedia about CA:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

    There are a few good tips in there like using it with baking soda to form a filler material.
    :biggthumpup:HeyOK Performance RC Electronics

  4. #4
    JessF Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowKrawl View Post
    When I get inside I will check which brand of CA glue I used on my flux, but it was hardly any more expensive than super glue and worked waaaaay better.
    oh ya, just saying, in a pinch crazy glue could work if you run out of CA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Abby, BC
    Posts
    330

    Default

    um, Crazy Glue IS CA... Extremely overpriced, well marketed, poor quality CA, but CA none the less. And while yes moisture does promote the curing of CA, accelerators are not just water. Some are actually acetone based, which is interesting as debonders are pretty much straight acetone, and others have toluidine in them and other nasty business.

  6. #6
    JessF Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dukk View Post
    um, Crazy Glue IS CA... Extremely overpriced, well marketed, poor quality CA, but CA none the less. And while yes moisture does promote the curing of CA, accelerators are not just water. Some are actually acetone based, which is interesting as debonders are pretty much straight acetone, and others have toluidine in them and other nasty business.
    eitherway, could have saved myself $6 on the CA and just used the crazy glue I already had in the tool box to glue only 4 tires.

    more of an FYI to those that don't have a hobby shop near them and order this stuff online. Most have a home hardware in their area.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontarios West Coast
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Not all "CA's" are created equally,

    I have been unsticking my fingers for over 25 years now building planes, boats and gluing tires on rims. I will always pay $6.00 at the hobby shop long before I buy a $2.00 tube at the hardware store. Nothing worse than ailerons falling off hinges during a dive or blowing an expensive set of tires off rims at the track during a main.
    Just do an experiment, glue two pieces together.....anything. Use the cheap dollar store stuff on a set and the good stuff on the other (I like thick, or medium for most things) build it up a bit like you want it to stay together.
    After it drys, give it a while check out the nasty bond of the cheap stuff. Hard crusty crap I bet, well the good stuff may have a film but will be usually clear under the film and the bond will hold, even when you try and break it usually the material lets go before the the bond will. The cheap stuff for the most part the bond will go.

    Hope this helps

  8. #8
    JessF Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magicmarker77 View Post
    Not all "CA's" are created equally,

    I have been unsticking my fingers for over 25 years now building planes, boats and gluing tires on rims. I will always pay $6.00 at the hobby shop long before I buy a $2.00 tube at the hardware store. Nothing worse than ailerons falling off hinges during a dive or blowing an expensive set of tires off rims at the track during a main.
    Just do an experiment, glue two pieces together.....anything. Use the cheap dollar store stuff on a set and the good stuff on the other (I like thick, or medium for most things) build it up a bit like you want it to stay together.
    After it drys, give it a while check out the nasty bond of the cheap stuff. Hard crusty crap I bet, well the good stuff may have a film but will be usually clear under the film and the bond will hold, even when you try and break it usually the material lets go before the the bond will. The cheap stuff for the most part the bond will go.

    Hope this helps
    Sounds good. I'm just making an observation based on my experience with CA glue the other night. A lot of hobbies make use of repackaging items from other hobbies. If you can find the same thing cheaper elsewhere, it may be worth looking into.

    another example are the metric screws my local hobby shop sells. $2.50 or so for 4 3M screws where as I can buy 100 3M screws with a higher class rating for $9 at a hardware manufacturer.

    another one is styrene. They charge $6.99 for a small sheet at my local hobby shop, and I just got a whole bag of FREE styrene from my local print shop because they can't use the scrap and it's trash to them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Abby, BC
    Posts
    330

    Default

    In this case "Crazy Glue" and others that you find at WalMart or wherever ARE the expensive option. Look how much glue you get for what they charge compared to how much you get at a hobby shop. Plus, not only is it junk quality, it is always water thin. Sometimes useful but not often. And no rubber infused black formula either - that was my best seller. Glues tires like a mo-fo plus it can stand a little flex which is useful in our hobby :)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •