PDA

View Full Version : dual motor set up on my super class clod

Trevor January
11-17-2009, 07:33 AM
hey guys

hope someone could help i have just built this clod crawler which has been fun but not i am just working out the speed controller with dual motors

i run the brushed novak rooster with two 55t integy on a 13 tooth pin on the crawler motors and stock clod gearing with diff locks and when i just cruise around and what not it's cool i like the travel speed it has and what not, but when i get the rocks the front will spin and the back don't. unless i pin the throttle which don't really dose nothing but wheel spin so i not sure what to think as maybe a bad set up, cause i ran two positive and two negative and they run to one set to the front motor and one to rear....

i don't know if this is common or maybe i just need a high turn say like 65 or 75 turn set up. so maybe some has to solution for this...

cheers
Trevor

HeyOK
11-17-2009, 08:21 AM
What you are describing is known as Clod Stall. Some people put a lower gear ratio in the back (going down one or two teeth in the pinion) so that it has a little more torque in the back but that means the front tends to pull the back around as the back wants to run a little slower.

You have your motors wired in parallel and that is the right way to do it. Sometimes people put different trun motors front and back.

Trevor January
11-17-2009, 09:00 AM
wow thats really really interesting to know as i thought maybe i did something wrong and had faulty motor or ecs ......

thats really good to know cause they never say anything about it when your doing the system... dose this happen to all dual motors set ups?? and would going to the novak dual motor dig ecs solve this problem?

i guess i could try a higher turn motor on the back

thanks man

HeyOK
11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Try and read about guys using the Bully axels. They talk about the Clod stall effect and how they actually like it as it tends to keep the front pulling while the rear doesn't push that end of the crawler in and therefore is less likely to flip when climbing something really steep.

The dig units aren't really meant to add more torque - the selectivly shut down power to either the front or rear axel. I suppose if you were to shut off power to the front axel which would mean that only the rear axel is getting power, you might get the axel moving where you want it.

corycrawler
11-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I assume ur running larger than a 2.2 tire. if so, you're geared too high. I run 2 55t novaks on my clod, 13 tooth pinions when running 2.2's, and 8/9 tooth as a super, all on 3s. Even with this setup, clodstall is noticable.

Trevor January
11-17-2009, 04:28 PM
yes i am running the stock clod tires and thats good to know that the gearing is two high.... and that was a thought i also had when i was building. So gear it down would help, cool this has been alot of help.

i another thought i also had which maybe crazy was to run another rooster one for the front and one for the rear.... run a y harness or just throw it in another channel and mix it. would this solve the problem or would i still power out?

Trevor

corycrawler
11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
instead of spending money on another esc, buy some adj. motor mounts pinions and a dig switch :biggthumpup: