PDA

View Full Version : Castle BEC.

Jake Crawler
02-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I just got myself one of the Castle BECs from Holmes Hobbies and slapped it in Project "Beat up ol' Ford". The reason I got it was because the servo I was using just didn't have the power and speed I wanted. The servo is a Tower Pro MG 995, which should be able to put out nearly 200 oz/in, but that is at 6v. I am running a cheap Moped speed control in the truck which puts out only 4.8v. With the Castle BEC I am getting a 1.2v increase.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/JamminJim_42/10c1d6b5.jpg

When I ordered the BEC from John Rob at Holmes Hobbies I asked him to set it at 6v and put on a set of Deans for me. It didn't take long and I had it in my hands. The unit is quite small and light so no need to worry about excess weight. The wires are long enough to allow you to put it out of the way. I double side taped it to the tranny and ran my wires. Make sure you follow the instructions on the packaging - disconnect the red wire from the ESC to the receiver and you are good to go. I just popped the wire out of the connector and didn't cut it. Then all you need to do is plug the esc back in and plug the BEC into the BATT spot on the receiver. My esc has a power switch on it. When you plug the battery in power goes to the servo right away. If the power switch is off, the motor won't run. (this can be handy)

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/JamminJim_42/af1bae7e.jpg

Off I went to test it out on the rocks. I noticed a significant improvement over the previous setup. I ran the same esc/servo combo in another rig. Before it was sluggish and weak, now it is fast and strong. Definitely worth the $21. If you buy the usb connector for the BEC, you can change the voltage on these units with your pc. That's a good idea if you have a few. If not, just order it from Holmes Hobbies and he will set it up for you for a small additional fee. I ran the truck for about an hour with no problems at all. I recommend this to anyone whose servo needs a power boost. Here's a pic of it intalled.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/JamminJim_42/2a34cd96.jpg

HeyOK
02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Good write up. I have three of these things in various trucks and they are great.

4mods
02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
isn't that the thing you told me failed and your truck went wandering? (Heyok)

Sounds like a cool product for sure though, nice man.

HeyOK
02-24-2008, 07:18 PM
isn't that the thing you told me failed and your truck went wandering? (Heyok)

Sounds like a cool product for sure though, nice man.

Yup, the very thing. I'm still confident in them though. My others are running great.

ecoli
02-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Nice write-up and pics. As Jake noted, definitely worth the extra few bucks to get John to solder on the Dean's and program the voltage for you, as I think the castle link (it's not the same as the one for the MM), is about $30 on its own! John has also always been great at answering my electronics questions, so I'm happy to support his business.

dittohead
03-04-2008, 12:51 PM
I just put one of these in my ax10 and and all i did was solder the BEC leads onto the battery wires, then soldered the whole mess to the deans plug. Worked good for me. The BEC did its job, powering my 5955 servo with no issues, which is great because i had very little BEC power with the 3s lipos which caused the MM to shut down on me from time to time. Ill be picking up another one tonight for my other comp rig.