PDA

View Full Version : Dash lights? - Electronics guys.....

UNGLEWD
04-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Might be a neas solution for turn signal indicators....
LED projected into fiber optics?
Curly sent this over earlier and thought you elect/tech types would be able to shed some "light" on this...Any ideas?
http://www.crawlcanada.com/articles/tutorials/misc/fibre.jpg

Vertigo
04-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Absolutly Doable Kev. I have played around with fiber optics in the past. They will transfer pretty much any light source. Even if the fiber optic is bent, it will still pass light to the end. I have some fiber here, I will have a working model this week for you to check out if you like.

UNGLEWD
04-29-2009, 09:46 PM
I knew one of you guys would answer...
Would be very cool for dash boards and radio knobs and stuff.
I'm guessing it can be run off the receiver instead of the lumpy battery packs too Jeff?

Vertigo
04-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Forsure Kev, I could build it as a stand alone piece, or incorporate it into a LED Kit. You could even have your choice of colour, or colours if need be.

curly
04-29-2009, 09:55 PM
hey sorry for not posting my self kev but you know
that is only one superbright led so can easily be run from receiver

Ax-hole
04-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I used to work for a company that made kenworth truck dash lighting, they use fibre optic to light up the switch panel labels, the labels lettering is printed on the back of a lexan strip then a fibre optic ribbon that has been lightly scufffed to direct the light is stuck behind it. The ribbon is a bunch of optic fibre with a thin thread woven together in a nice flat row. I think I have some ,I'll take a look.

Code454
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
thats an awesome idea, it would be cool if someone came out with that:beerchug:

pathfinder95
04-30-2009, 01:00 PM
YOU Can also look for the clearance sales in home depot/walmart/canadian tire for those lighted christmas trees leftovers....plenty of fibers for sometimes less than 10$.....as for colors, you can use the same light source for all you lights, but just paint those you want another color with translucent paint at the light source....i did a couple of 1/24 like this...looks pretty nice and its really simple to do !!!! just remember to cut the fibers at 90 degres, cause if not they`ll look faded...