PDA

View Full Version : esc/motor for crawler question

BIGBIRD
01-03-2009, 02:43 PM
is there any drawback to using a mamba max motor and sidewinder esc for my crawler?

ecoli
01-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Do you mean both at the same time, or just CC esc's in general? I would say for both there is no disadvantage, but rather huge advantages. I don't own the sidewinder, but know if you have the adapter, it is quite programmable. Big advantages include being able to run brushed or brushless motors, run high cell counts (12 cell NiMH or 3s lipo for the MM), and being infinitely programmable. The MM has a great drag brake on it, and can be programmed for instant forward to reverse, both important factors for crawling.

The motor does play a big role in how well the crawler functions. When I originally upgraded from a standard 55 turn lathe motor to a cobalt 7t puller motor, it was amazing how much better the puller functioned in terms of strength of the drag brake and torque. That's nothing an esc will help you with.

Vertigo
01-03-2009, 07:07 PM
There wouldn't be any draw backs. The CC brushless motors are great motors. In fact its the same motor you would get with a MM combo. The difference is the ESC having about 2/3's the power output in amps as the MM would. Still all the great programable features as the MM too

BIGBIRD
01-03-2009, 07:13 PM
ok ill put it in, i fried my goat esc, sent to novak. but i have a sidewinder esc and a mm motor sitting on the shelf, and i want brushless power for snow trails. what pinion can i use without heat issues. esc in a sealed rubbermaid container

Vertigo
01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Currently in my trail truck I am running a MM ESC with a 5000Kv motor on 3s. In my sealed electronics box I have a MM ESC, reciever and BEC and haven't had it thermal yet. For gearing I am running a 12/87 combo. The truck flys, although its hard on the ax-10 trans, blown 3 sets of trans gears already. Just gotta get my steel gear set installed and it should be good.

BIGBIRD
01-04-2009, 06:11 PM
well used a 14 tooth pinion, omg it was insane, maxamps 7.4 6000mah, and kabam!!! insane wheel speeds. floats on the snow, then i put in the 11.1 , bad idea, tranny lasted all of 25 feet. haha. well i got over a year on that one, time for some stronger gears. do i need a bec when running 11.1v?

Copious
01-04-2009, 07:12 PM
You should only need a BEC if you are supplying more than one servo. Or working the one servo very hard.

mrb
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
you'll notice a huge difference if you do use a bec with a high pull servo, especially in demand situations. The bec in the sidewinder will work, but compare it to a sided bec, the difference is huge, and when you are crawling and pulling high torque with steering at the same time, it will be night and day.

for bashing and trail fun, the sidewinder alone is fine....

BIGBIRD
01-04-2009, 08:36 PM
well i tried it with my 11.1 and my steering servo was crappy, put my 7.4 back in and it was fine?

corycrawler
01-05-2009, 12:03 AM
I dont know the techy speak, but when u go up on the input voltage, the built in bec's regulator drop the amps way down so they dont fry themselves so a 6v/3a rated bec like in a mm puts out like 1a @ 12v. I first noticed this in my clod running a mm w. 2 servos. All was fine until i jumped to a 3s to get some more ws and the servos were acting eratic and getting hotter than usual. I would definetely use an ext. bec as they have regulated outputs, regardless of input voltage, or risk killing servos and/or the built in bec in your esc. Hope this helps rick