PDA

View Full Version : ::KJ's:: Rancid Kiwi - AE86 XXX

UNGLEWD
11-08-2008, 10:38 AM
All pumped up to go out drifting today for the first time (out of the house anyways) Joining the guys from One10 Drift (Bc locals) for some much needed lessons. Grabbed some stuff used after our local hobby show and thought I'd share as I know some of you are into this stuff too!

This is mine so far...
My base is a Losi XXXs chassis (thanks Kbroen)
- Stock Novak ESC
- Komoto Dragon
- DX3 TX/RX
- HPI 6mm wheels
- One10 Drift tires
- 200mm HPI Silvia body

I'm waiting on a bunch of body parts and some are here in the shop, over the next while I want to turn this into a fairly detailed AE86 Trueno.
Body Stuff...
- HPI AE86 body 190mm
- HPI Stage - D Trueno body kit
- HPI Body Tuner Kit Type-A
- HeyOK Performance LED kit with built in Pico switch
- Full Styrene interior

Wheel & Tire
- One10 Drift tires/carpet
- HPI Work XSA 02C wheels (6 & 9mm ... whatever hits the edges nice)

Performance stuff
- One Way diff (cause Kev says so) ...much to learn since my usual deal is scale 4x4's so I'm sure the list and price tag will grow after the maiden voyage!

A few pics of the car as it sits this week with the sacrificial body on it (saves Rick destroying the nice one) ...although I don't expect him to be that close to me he could still hit me while I'm parked! :shock:

Yes I know the rear wheels are the wrong offset!!!! Kev & Matt told me they'd be wrong...new ones on the way

dubfreak
11-08-2008, 10:49 AM
nice drifter kev i so love to drift but the local drift track had to close so for now it's sad but one guy is bilding a track in is garage with 2 flores so should be ready in a cople of week

i love running one way diff in the front but it's another way of driving but sure you will learn fast keep up the pics comming want to see what it will look like

by the way be careful with that trueno body they crack realy easyly put some shoogoo in there

frank

UNGLEWD
11-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Great suggestion on the body, do you think it would help to coat the entire front and rear bumper areas (inside) with Shoe Goe to prevent cracking after I install the lights and stuff?
May take up quite a bit of impact (From Ricks car)?

dubfreak
11-08-2008, 12:37 PM
on my drifter i coat the frot and rear and the side like a inche and a haft high it make a good protection and the body feels less empty when you get hit

frank

Tired
11-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Sooo, how did it go, would I like it? huh? Can I make the Pro Street Camaro a drifter, or what?

UNGLEWD
11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Oh man we had so much fun and will be participating bi-weekly for sure. The car worked well but unfortunately I didn't listen to my mechanic when he told me to break my rebuild in properly....Wide open Kev had the motor failing on battery pack 7 :paranoid:.

The event was cool, track had right and left lanes, something called "street Rules" which of course I wasn't the best at...then they turn the lights out and you've gotta rely on headlights...man I'm stoked for this, think you'd like it Mike!

Al my new parts show up this week so I'll post progress onthe car, pictures of the interior and body when I get at it. :luxhello:

Tired
11-10-2008, 09:35 PM
hmmmm, need more info on what motors and why and the wheel/tire combo.

ooooo boy.

UNGLEWD
11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Ahhh you mean how do they work not...hey Kev how was your night? :laugh:
So exited I lost my head for a minute! Well I'm just starting to soak in the info so I've got some novice baseline stuff this week. If I'm tuned in now let me know and I"ll share what I've got.
- So far I'm running the XXXs (any Awd touring car will do but was told this is a nice start)
- ESC with reverse (stock Novak)
- 19T Touring car Brushed motor...Still not sure why but most of the drift guys swear by brushed motors...I'll pass that on when I understand it.
- Rear diff is almost completely locked
- One way front diff (actually this weeks addition) This is neat...basicly the front diff while under power works normaly, under deceleration it freewheels simulating hitting the E-brake pitching the car sideways.
- The tire compounds is something else all together...still getting onto that. This week I purchased a set for running on the carpet track, I've also got a set for asphalt...both sets are made by one of our members, MattC this is the local club that we joined this week for our first outing.

Did I do better this time? :D

Tired
11-10-2008, 11:28 PM
lol, at first I wanted to know how you did and liked it. THEN I wanted more....thanks, the one way front on the AWD makes everything much clearer.:nod:

rockrawler
11-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Sweet ride. I'm lookin' at gettin on now :biggthumpup:

rockrawler
11-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm on their as (redline) rockrawler just wouldn't seem right :confused::evilgiggle:

UNGLEWD
11-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Right you are!

JasonC
11-21-2008, 07:25 PM
How does the one way diff work? Since you are just getting started do you find it is helping you or is it just making it a bit harder?

UNGLEWD
11-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Actually I haven't got in installed yet, parts are here though. On my first outing i ran my car with the rear locked and the front open. I enjoyed the way it handled. The seasoned drifters said whatever you drive first usually you preffer. After running it for a while I actually liked it. I have driven other cars set up with the one way and it works completely different.
I'll be installing the one way over the next 2 weeks after tomorrows meet. All new parts to rebuild the car so I may aswlee do the serious stuff all at once.
Did you get your car yet Jason? ...if so start a thread so we can have a look!

JasonC
11-21-2008, 08:28 PM
My car unfortunately only got ordered today, so I have to sit and wait for it to get here. I am already looking at hop ups and I don't even have it yet....

UNGLEWD
11-21-2008, 08:28 PM
This is as far as I've gotten for this weekend.
After frying the motor last time out I picked up a quick replacement LRP 19T.
Been reading up on Brushless v.s. Brushed setups and I don't know enough about that yet to make a choice...Brushed it is for now.
Picked up 3 new sets of wheels and 4 sets of tires, the ones in the picture are the carpet tires mounted on 6mm & 9mm HPI wheels.

Last meet they had the lights out for a bit so I used one of my old LED sets. No light buckets, just some holes through the lexan and lots of shoe goo. Again this is the test body, will post pics of the real body next.

UNGLEWD
11-21-2008, 08:43 PM
This is the real body and Stage D body kit. Planning for an interior, cage and driver lots of cool lights and gadgets. I have seen some pretty cool scale drift cars lately and really want to give it a try.

This is the second set of wheels, the 9mm rears will be here tomorrow.

After I get my full day of running in tomorrow (fingers crossed) it all gets ripped appart.
I now have the full Graphite Chassis upgrade and I'm pretty sure all of my performance parts, springs front diff....So I might as well do it all at once.
Next meet is in 2 weeks so hopefully I can get it all done.

JasonC
11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
An AE86 body eh. I must say I really do not like you at this point!!! jk

I think I am just going to paint my AE86 body black now, I will get angry if I put a ton of hours into mine as I know yours will look better.

So are we going to create a Crawl Canada Team and we can AE86 team painted cars? Some sort of red and white with black painted hood, wing and bumpers?

Islander
11-24-2008, 11:36 PM
i just bought a nitro onroad from a buddy of mine. it came with the trueno body on it. its not that great a body, but somewhere to start anyway. i dont know what brand the car is, but i can snap some pics.

that drifter looks pretty nice. i'm trying to find one myself to buy. i'm leaning towards the Yokomo drift car cause its the best for price and available hop-ups.

post some action shots with them lights!

madhatter
11-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Gotta get some camber on that thing too! :laughing:

Always look better with LOTS of camber.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p21/demonictoys/on%20road/IMG_0712.jpg

UNGLEWD
11-29-2008, 08:31 AM
What...you too?
I guess camber...How does it handle like that?
Is that a Yokamo body? looks cool.

madhatter
11-29-2008, 08:37 AM
What...you too?
I guess camber...How does it handle like that?
Is that a Yokamo body? looks cool.

Actually thats from a couple years ago now I think.
As for handling....I'm not real sure since I was racing indoor carpet with it mostly. I do know that most the full on jap' spec drifter cars have a ton of camber on them.
It is a Yokomo body, and if I build another I will spend the extra money for one again. They are really nice and lots of cool extras.

UNGLEWD
12-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Got some more work done on the drifter...
Interior panel/plate is coming together, had to do the basice while the body was still clear.
I'll start painting and adding the details next.

Most of the paint is complete, I used the old Rancid Kiwi Recipe but put on a few coats of metal flake first. I think it turned out pretty cool but will be hard to tell until it's together.

UNGLEWD
12-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Some more interior panel detail, some painting and accessories to still add but you get the idea.
Used some of the scale braided hose for the fuel lines and a bit of the picture frame wire for the nitrous lines. The wiring diagram's in Al's hands so the tach, shift light and dash lights should put a nice glow through the interior.

Bunch of body lines, decals and scale stuff to get on, just waiting for the shoe goo to set up. Used a bit of the aluminum grill (thanks Matt!) for the openings in the front cowl, will add intercooler and lighting soon.

I love the way the painted drinking straws worked for the cage...just tacked in with a dab of shoe goo. Looks like the real deal from outside and is as light weight as you get!

More pics with the body on as soon as this stuff dries!
Thanks for lookin

UNGLEWD
12-10-2008, 04:29 PM
A few teasers wit the body in place...

JasonC
12-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Lookin very good Kev! Are those tires made by Matt? I really like the color and the detail in the interior. So you have 3 lights going into the dash?

UNGLEWD
12-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Yep the tires are Matts, I've now got 5 full sets for different meets, concrete, carpet....

LEDs....Awww crap...just looked at the wiring diagram I made for all yesterday and forgot to add the interior lights...sorry Al just sent the update...:paranoid:.

The plan was to have the Tach face and dash lights, light up yellow and have a 3mm red in the shift light....just hope he hasn't started building the set just yet!

HeyOK
12-10-2008, 08:43 PM
You caught me just in time!

No prob!

Ax-hole
12-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Wow, that Willy guy, he drives em all! He's like the Stig on top gear. lol "Some say, that if you leave a Willy in a car long enough...... it'll grow a skeleton !" :biggthumpup::rock:

curly
12-11-2008, 04:49 AM
dont forget to hook up a servo to the drivers head to follow steering

pathfinder95
12-11-2008, 07:40 AM
:Wow1: that rola widebody is ssssschhhweeeeeet!!! really nice additions with the straw roll cage (really good idea!!) and nos tank, another top notch job kev!! gonna have to take action pics with the lights on:rock:

:popcorn:

UNGLEWD
12-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Sorry Curly this one's not that Hitech...no pivoting head, maybe next time?

Hopefully I can grab some action shots next Saturday with the lights on, maybe I'll pass the controls to a more capable driver and snap some pics...nice idea!

Decided on the huge spoiler and typical tuner add ons as much as I don't usually like them they just seem to suite it better. I can run the stock spoiler later if I get tired of the airplane wing. The balance of the HPI tuner kit had mirrors, intercooler and huge muffler.
Also cut the top portion of the tail light decals off to clean up the back end a bit more.

Added some body lines and a few more leftover shop decals.

Next will be painting in the larger body seams and front grills...more pics later

JasonC
12-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Kev what is the brand name of that mesh that you used? Did it come silver or did you paint it that way? Want to mail me a chunk? lol

UNGLEWD
12-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Just posted it up the other day...great price too!
http://crawlcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3563

jarrodh
12-11-2008, 11:09 PM
ps, you dont need a 19t motor, a 27 will do pretty much the same thing, and let the bateries last longer..

one ways are cool.. on one of my cars in stalled 3 on ways.. front/rear, and the center shaft that drove the belts..lol

drifting is easy.. we used to do it on our race days, we'd have about 5-6 of us that made some drift tires(just some pvc pipe on tc rims) and went out on the track at lunch.. i know their not true "drift" tires, but they cost like 4$ to make.. it was fun.. i soon found the quickest way to do it..lol

UNGLEWD
12-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Got the rest of my stuff on early this morning, painted the mesh on the front cowl, mounted the intercooler, cut and painted the bumper foam and cut the exaust in.

Mounted on the mirrors and have the tach set up ready for the LEDs now.

UNGLEWD
12-18-2008, 10:35 AM
The last piece to the puzzle...LED's are here.
Just getting them tacked in and securing the wires with Shoe Goo...will look alot better when I get the wire's painted. Should look pretty cool, there's 6, 5mm Yellow's pointing down to light up some ground and the intercooler in the front.
Headlights, Taillights, signals and some dash lights should make for a cool look at night.

Sorry Al my job sticking them in doesen't do the kit much justice but here's some pics anyways.

HeyOK
12-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Looks great Kev! More!

UNGLEWD
12-19-2008, 06:12 PM
All done and ready for tomorrow.
Thanks for the wicked good job on the lights Al!

A few more images before I test it in the house :paranoid: ...

Thanks for watchin guys...next one's going American Muscle I think!

JasonC
12-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Very cool Kev!!!! I really like the extras you did with the lights. The side turn signals and the tach are awsome!!!!

I am waiting on my Yokomo light buckets before I place an order with Al, I want to see if I can put 3 lights in the front light buckets (2 white, 1 amber).

What color did you go with for the headlights? white or blue?

UNGLEWD
12-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks Jay, I'm definately going with lights on the next one but I think I should keep practicing with this body for a while first.
The headlights on all my vehicles are the super bright white's. When I have them on the crawlers, 2 headlights and the light bar will light up the whole shop.

UNGLEWD
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Lucky me, doorbell rang yesterday morning and RC Car Action sent me a ROTM prize pack... Man it pays to enter things some days!

Got all of the Graphite chassis together, new drive belt, 1 way front diff and now the new Novak brushless system. Should take a bit of getting used to, it'll be a different car for a while that's for sure.

I removed the interior and huge rear spoiler, may be just in my head but that bit of extra weight seemed to make a difference in handeling last time out...just running the no frills version this time out. Tested in the kitchen/dining room till I was asked to leave...the 1 way definately changes the way you aproach tight corners...very cool.

JasonC
01-16-2009, 06:18 PM
congrats Kev, thats an awsome prize, and well deserved for that body

colonelangus
01-16-2009, 09:14 PM
nice AE86 my son is building a AE86 levin comp drifter 1.1 ..the real thing ..looks good kevin ..hope the robs looks that good ..:beerchug: